Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Warning: NUC10i5FNH and Win10; BSOD and flickering after installing HDMI Firmware 1.77.06

A few days ago, just after the new HDMI firmware version 1.77.06 appeared, I installed it and got a Blue Screen of Death within a quarter of an hour running Win10. Also some occasional flickering of the screen while running win 10 and also while starting and shutting down Windows happens.

I am using my NUC10i5 with all the latest drivers, and the HDMI 2.0b port to connect to my 4k monitor Philips 276E8VJSB

Yesterday I wanted to watch some videos and both Netflix and Prime Video flickered more or less often.

Today I made the BIOS update to 0044, but nothing changed, Netflix and Prime Video were flickering occasionally, but Youtube 4K did not. And just before I am writing this, I had a second BSOD out of the blue.

Thus I urgently need some other firmware for HDMI.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

Please provide us with the below information to continue with the support:

• Are you using straight connection HDMI* to HDMI*?
  • If possible, provide the specific BSOD or a screenshot.
  • How many Intel® NUC units you have that are experiencing this issue?

Please run the following tool in Windows* and attach the report generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

With the display (s) connected, provide the Intel* Graphics Command Center report:

>Go to the Intel Graphics Command Center

>Support

>System Diagnostic

>Generate report.

>Attach the report file.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks for your questions:

I have one NUC10i5FNH for two months now.

It was always connected by the same high quality HDMI cable from the NUC HDMI 2.0b port to the 4K Philips 276E8VSJB's HDMI 2.0 port. Until the HDMI update last week this was without issues.

I had a third (!) BSOD early Saturday. AFAIR ist was Secure Kernel Error, but anyway I've attached some Win10  diagnostic viewer excerpts from that crahs.

What is also new and got even worse since the HDMI update is the screen flicker. It does flicker in random intervals during unused desktop, while browsing and more frequently with Netflix and Prime Video.

Worried of damaging my LSPCON, I've tried my little OMARS Thunderbolt 3 travel hub instead, which has both a HDMI 4k@60Hz and a Display Port with 4k@60Hz. Both ports work without issues and without flickerung.

The OMARS TB 3 dock is identical to this one by Choetech:

https://www.choetech.com/product/thunderbolt-3-multiport-dock.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Thank you for the information.

Please reinstall and provide us with a screenshot of the installation process of the HDMI* firmware, follow these steps:

• Update the HDMI Firmware via the Graphical Interface (GUI)
  1. Connect a HDMI monitor to the HDMI Port.
  2. Turn on the Intel NUC.
  3. In Windows File Explorer, navigate to the folder where you unzipped the download.
  4. Right-click the file BobcatAuxISPTool.exe and select, Run as administrator to launch the update tool. 5. Click Get FW Version to display the current firmware version. 
  5. I am sending you a screenshot as an example of what we need. (attached)

I noticed with the report that you are using the graphics driver version 27.20.100.8476 (latest DCH driver), however, the latest driver recommended for your specific unit is the version 26.20.100.8141. As the firmware was design to work with your specific system, the best will be to try this version.

Please follow the clean installation steps:

1. Download the latest Graphics Driver Version: 26.20.100.8141 
  2. Disconnect the Internet.
  3. Open Windows* Apps and features and uninstall the Intel* Graphics driver.
  4. Open the Device Manager, Display Adapters section.
  5. Go to Windows* Device Manager and check if Windows* installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Note: Repeat this process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  6. Install the previously downloaded Graphics Driver.
  7. Reconnect the Internet and reboot your PC.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Maria,

here is the requested current HDMI firmware screenshot:

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Thank you for the screenshot.

I will check this behavior internally, and I will post back on the thread as soon as I have more details about it.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks in advance, Maria.

Just some additional info: I am currently using the Thunderbold dock for video output. When I temporarily switched back to the internal HDMI 2.0b port to make that screenshot, and then watched some Prime Video content via that port, it took about a half an hour for the flickering to appear again. So be patient while testing such behaviour.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Thank you for patiently waiting. To better assist you, I sent you a private message.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Maria,

thank your for your message and the test file.

I've just installed V1.77.04 as you can see in the attached image. Now we have to wait and see if or when some problems occur.

I will report either when something happens or tomorrow evening about status updates.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

OK, first results:

The flickering I am talking about are short bursts of plain white or dark flashing frames.

After I wrote my previous post I started Netflix. Right at that moment  there was the very first flicker after the Firmware upgrade, The there was about twelve minutes pause and then the occasioanla flickering was back. Also with still images of the netflix stream.

Now, while I am writing this in the Chrome browser, there is again some flickering.

Is this some thermal issue with the LS-PCON or is this some kind of buffer overflow issue or what?

There was no flickering so far while I was using the video output over a Thunderbolt dock instead of this HDMI port. I had just switched back to the NUCs HDMI port for this FW flashing and testing. So the source material and the iGPU are fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Some observations since installation of 77.04 and only using the NUCs HDMI port:

No BSOD so far! That's the good part.

The bad part: flickering is still there and unpredictable.

Sometimes the first thing what you see after waking from (modern) standby is a short flicker and also the last thing when going into standby, but not always 

Sometimes there are long pauses like this Sunday but ultimately the flicker reappears suddenly. Flickering also occurs occasionally when nothing is moving on the screen, sometimes during video streams. It doesn't matter.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

We send you a private message, were you able to check it?

We only need to confirm the below information:

1) What was the HDMI FW version you used before updating it to 1.77.06? (it is important because you said that the flickering and the BSOD started after updating to this FW 1.77.06. We need to know what was the previous version if there was any)

2) You mentioned that you tested Graphics Driver: 27.20.100.8476. Could you please check whether the driver 26.20.100.8141 works for you or you still see the same issue with this version? here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29230/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers-for-Intel-NUC?...

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance.  

Best regards,  

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Maria, thanks for your messages.

Regarding the previous firmware:

I was using the factory supplied version. I bought my NUC in May. As you know, the update tool does not show the last digits behind the 1.77., so I did not see the actual difference before and after.

Yes the flickering started with1.77.06 and the BSOD, too. With 1.77.04 you sent me and which I installed immediately, there were no BSODs at all so far, but the flickering is not gone. It gets less over the days, but whenever I open Netflix or Amazon Prime Video it comes back immediately and persists for some time after I leave them.

The driver stuff I still have to check. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Thank you for let us know.

I will be waiting to know the outcome with the graphics driver. 

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Just in case you need it, here are the instructions to properly complete the new driver installation:

1. Download the driver and save them on the computer: 26.20.100.8141 
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel Programs and Features. 
  4. Restart the computer. 
  5. Confirm in Device Manager Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1
  8. Restart the computer. 
  9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Please, let us know the outcome.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Maria

I did as you requested and managed to install the driver 26.20.100.8141 (then Windows Update installed it again), see the attachment. I also updated to BIOS 0045.

It doesn't make a difference - as I expected - the flickering remains. When I play something on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, the flickering is there within minutes.

I used WDM 27 drivers before installing 1.77.06 without issues. The manufacturing date of my NUC is stated as "11APR2020" on the box, so that firmware was present until I flashed 1.77.06.

The flicker on the monitor appears also often as last a respectively first "image" when the system is going into and waking up from stand-by and shutdown.

So the problem remains unsolved. I hope you can find a solution.

Many thanks for listening

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Thank you for let us know.

We'll keep looking into it and post back on this thread as soon as we have any update.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

To better assist you, I sent you a private message.

We will be waiting to hear from you.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thank you, Maria

unfortunately the attachment itself is missing.

I am going to try it once I get the file.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos