Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Warning: NUC10i5FNH and Win10; BSOD and flickering after installing HDMI Firmware 1.77.06

A few days ago, just after the new HDMI firmware version 1.77.06 appeared, I installed it and got a Blue Screen of Death within a quarter of an hour running Win10. Also some occasional flickering of the screen while running win 10 and also while starting and shutting down Windows happens.

I am using my NUC10i5 with all the latest drivers, and the HDMI 2.0b port to connect to my 4k monitor Philips 276E8VJSB

Yesterday I wanted to watch some videos and both Netflix and Prime Video flickered more or less often.

Today I made the BIOS update to 0044, but nothing changed, Netflix and Prime Video were flickering occasionally, but Youtube 4K did not. And just before I am writing this, I had a second BSOD out of the blue.

Thus I urgently need some other firmware for HDMI.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Ok thanks, 

download and flashing successful, restarted the NUC, now let's see ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

We will be waiting to hear back from you, please let us know the outcome!

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Ok, some first impressions of the 1.77.92 firmware:

(a reminder: I am using only a 4k monitor with the NUC. The monitor is not HDR capable, though. I have not tried FHD monitors with the NUC)

There is some improvement  but no final resolution yet.

- no BSOD so far.

- no noticeable flickering while on desktop, office, or browsing, or watching 4K youtube videos.

BUT

Watching Netflix or Amazon Prime Video either via their respective Windows apps or in a browser (Edge and Chrome) does trigger that flickering again and Windows keeps on unpredictably flickering for a while after ending and closing those apps or the videos, though the flickering abates after some time.

So, Intel has still some fixing to do, but you are getting closer.

Thanks and keep on debugging

EDIT: flickering has now really got bad after playing Prime Video in Chrome half an hour ago.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Once again, thank you. Your feedback and testing have been really helpful for us.

I will continue checking on this and I will post back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Maria R. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm, (ccing )

• Can you try lowering the refresh rate to anything around 30Hz? 
  • Does the flickering affect the sound in any way?
  • Is the system connected to the Internet via Wireless LAN or Ethernet when streaming?
  • Is possible that you provide us with a short video of the described issue?

We checked internally and we are confident that your system was already running HDMI FW version 1.77.06. After several HDMI FW updates that didn't resolve the issue, would you be willing to replace the unit under warranty? If yes, please reach out to our Customer Service via Phone or Chat, here is our contact information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7 make sure that you select the corresponding region and use case number 04755437 as reference.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks, Ronny,

here comes the first part of my answers:

See attached three examples of flickering playing Chernobyl, episode 2 (FHD) from Amazon Prime Video. The first two videos are from the Windows app, the third is from continuing the episode in Chrome.

The recordings werde made with a little DJI Osmo Pocket standing on the desk in front of the Philips 27" 4K IPS monitor (at 59Hz), recorded with 1080p/60Hz. Part of the screen is cut off.

Your question regarding sound reminded me that my Philips monitor has a 3.5mm audio port. I usually play sound via USB-audio, so I did not notice sound problems while flicker bursts happen.

Now I tested it and the sound via HDMI out of the monitor is indeed disturbed during flickers.

I just want to remind you that flickers do not happen with video output through the Thunderbolt port, so network connections do not play a part here. I am usually connected via LAN cable to the cable router which offers gigabit internet.

I have not tried lowering the monitor refresh rate yet.

Regarding the firmware and warranty, I'll answer later.

Best regards

RJamm

EDIT: I want to point out that the camera seems to be somewhat "blinded" by the flicker flashes: the actual flickering is a mix of bright and dark frames.

Also with the latest firmware, the flickering can be stopped by rebooting the NUC - until one starts Netflix or Prime again. The flicker also appears when going into and awaking from standby.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This is not the issue for which I have been suggesting the lowering of the frequency. That issue was the screen going blank for a second or two (while HDMI communications is reestablished). Still, you never know; lowering the frequency (to, say, 30Hz) many help here...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello RJamm,

Thank you for the information.

I will share the videos internally, please, let us know if you decided to proceed with the warranty of the unit.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi RJamm,

Thanks for the very detailed report and videos.

Allow me a couple of days to run all these details by the product escalation team and I will get back to you.

Please try lowering the refresh rate and keep in mind the option of replacing the unit under warranty.

I will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

hi guys, i have exactly the same issue, same behavior, flickering only when streaming netflix with hdmi. i have a NUC10i7FNH box for just a month, and i'm using exactly the same model philps 27 inch 4k display. looking forward to a real workable solution for this issue. i need to connect a egpu via tb3, so i really hope you can fix the hdmi issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi RJamm, teddyma,

I tried all possible options I have available to troubleshoot this issue, this was when working with RJamm but unfortunately, we couldn't resolve the issue, now that teddyma reports the same problem using the same monitor Philips* 276E8VJSB I wonder if this is a compatibility related issue. 

Is it possible for any of you to test the NUC with a different TV or Display?

Regards,

Ronny G 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I did not have any problems with my HDMI/Monitor combo until I did the flashing. 

If you, Ronny, say you cannot reproduce the problem, I think (for some time now) the flashing itself did the damage. Maybe the flashing tool can cause corruption.

Since you found that I most likely already had 1.77.06 by factory installation, and thus I obviously just reflashed it with the update tool, the firmware itself may not be the problem - for me, at least.

My timeline was this:

first flash of 1.11.06: soon after restart the first bluescreen occurred, up to a total of three bluescreens within two or three days. Also the general flickering problem started.

I actually reflashed 06 again within a day or so, but nothing changed. So I resorted to video output over Thunderbolt, which was and is fine.

flashing of 1.11.04: no more bluescreens but still persistent flickering. back to Thunderbolt.

flashing of 1.11.92: flickering initiated by Netflix or Prime Video. Currently back on Thunderbolt again.

Video output via TB has no HDR option, so HDMI 2.0b does matter.

I will try my Philips 4K-TV (50PUS7334), the only other 4K-display I have. Otherwise I have a Lenovo QHD monitor, too. 

It looks likely I have to try warranty,

Thanks for your effort, I will experiment over the weekend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

do you guys mind to share with me the 1.77.06 and 1.77.92 ver of the hdmi firmware? i also seemed began to have this issue since i flashed the official 1.77.06 ver. but i never met bluescreem issue. one more issue is, with the hdmi port, besides the flickering issue, netflix seems never think it's hdcp2.2 compatible, so i can never stream in 4k resolution. but with a tb3-hdmi line, no flickering and netflix 4k streaming works fine. btw, i'll try later with my sony a8g 4k tv, and let you know the result. but again can you guys pls share with me the 1.77.06 and 1.77.92 ver of the hdmi firmware? so i can test with different vers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

sorry i mean to share with me the 1.77.04 or even earlier ver? and the 1.77.92 ver you mentioned.

my personal email: shijie.ma (at) gmail.com in case you want to send me something privately. thx.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Have the exact same issue. Running NUCI7BeanCanyon with 1.77.03 version of HDMI. No BSOD but flickering and audio blips starts the moment you launch  Netflix or Prime Video and it stays on. Have been using type c dock and there are no issues with the same. Want to switch back to HDMI, so, please help. SSU & Graphics reports are attached. Using a Samsung ultrawide monitor - Model No: C34J79x

0 Kudos