Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

What exactly constitutes an "HDMI 2.0" device when updating a NUC BIOS?

I just purchased my first NUC (NUC7i5BNK) over the christmas break and I keep seeing reference to using an "HDMI 2.0" device in order to apply a BIOS update successfully.

Does this mean the cable must be HDMI 2.0 compliant or the monitor or what?

I updated the BIOS on my unit - and it seemed to work fine (but oddly the version number did not seem to change?).

But I still have no idea what the HDMI 2.0 item is all about.

Appreciate any update.

B

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, because of the design of the DP-to-HDMI IC used in this design, the HDMI firmware is completely separate from the BIOS and other firmware.

In order to install the updated firmware, you need a HDMI 2.0-compliant monitor/TV properly connected using a HDMI 2.0-compliant cable.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Scott,

Apologies but I was not talking about the HDMI firmware - I was talking about the BIOS of the NUC itself.

I keep seeing the requirement for an HDMI 2.0 device when updating the BIOS. Cannot figure out why that would be necessary to update a system BIOS.

B

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

That's what I am saying. It is NOT required to install BIOS Updates. It IS required to install HDMI firmware updates, however. Anything you read to the contrary is just plain wrong.

...S

0 Kudos