Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Which keyboards and hubs are working in BIOS of nuc6i7kyk (Skull Canyon) ?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've recently purchased a Skull Canyon NUC and found out my USB multimedia keyboard does not work with it when no operating system is loaded.

I've borrowed a USB 2 hub and a USB keyboard to try and the borrowed keyboard and my mouse were detected by BIOS when connected by the hub to the nuc. Good news as I plan to waste at most 1 USB port for keyboard and mouse as the nuc has very few usb ports and I have many USB peripherals.

Now I need to buy another keyboard and a hub but I cannot tell before trying if they would be recognised by the bios.

Is there a way to know which hubs and keyboards are working in BIOS without trying them ?

My multimedia keyboard is a USB composite device with keyboard, mouse and multimedia buttons. I've used it for 10 years without any issues with a 10 year old computer. It works in my old computer BIOS. It also worked 2 times with the nuc, which is strange.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User

I do not know if they work in the bios, but you can look at these:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020804.html Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

I do not know if they work in the bios, but you can look at these:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020804.html Tested Peripherals for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I know the list but it gives no details. I specifically need to be able to access the computer by keyboard through a hub when no operating system is loaded. Otherwise my old keyboard also works. If it worked in BIOS I would not need another one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Check in your bios settings: Advanced ->Devices->USB - USB Legacy shall be enabled ("V" mark).

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have that option enabled. It was enabled by default from factory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

In addition, that option help line say the keyboard should work in BIOS even when the option is disabled, so it should not matter which way is set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've searched the Internet all the hubs, mouse and keyboards from that list and they cannot be found new to buy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you very much to Al Hill and to lw1948 for the information provided above.

Hi, cristi101, Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities.

In regard to your question, the devices that are showing on the list for tested peripherals are the ones that were tested by Intel and confirm as fully compatible, so they should work in the BIOS as well.

Now, there are many different devices that are not showing in that list and that are also fully compatible with the NUC is just that they were not tested. I looked for some of the devices listed there and I found a link for one of the keyboards listed:

https://www.amazon.com/Viziflex-Logitech-Classic-Keyboard-81G103/dp/B0143Q53PS https://www.amazon.com/Viziflex-Logitech-Classic-Keyboard-81G103/dp/B0143Q53PS

It is unfortunate that most of them are not available, but the products that we can confirm as fully compatible will be the ones showing in that list.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yeah, it is on Amazon.com but I live in Europe and in my country there are only new models available, the old ones are sold out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

cristi101, I understand, I am sorry to hear that you cannot find them, that was just a suggestion for you to try. You mentioned you borrowed a USB hub and keyboard and they worked fine in the BIOS, did you tried to look for those same models in order to purchase them? They might be available in Europe.

From our end that is the best option we can provide for this scenario, hopefully you will be able to find them.

Once again let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I think I cannot find them because they are also several years old. They don't even have a model number on them to search. They are some cheap ones made in China.

I was hoping to hear that my keyboard is the exception and all new usb keyboards and hubs work.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

A suggestion for the list of compatible hardware: try to list the full name of the product with the model number. This will make it easyer to find.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

cristi101, You are welcome. Thank you very much for providing those comments. There are many different keyboards that should work as you expected is just that we do not want to give you false expectations in providing a model that was not tested, same thing with the USB hub. Now, I test the NUC in our lab, and I used the Dell's L100 keyboard and the Sabrent's USB hub and I was able to use it in the BIOS with no problems, hopefully they will be available for purchase where you are located.

Just to let you know, Intel really appreciates the feedback provided by all the peers in our communities, so, I will send your suggestion to the proper department for them to be aware of your comments about the list of tested peripherals.

Regards,

Alberto
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I just want to let you know that I've got a Logitech g413 keyboard and it works through a cheap USB 2.0 hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

cristi101: Perfect, thank you very much for letting us know that information. It is great to hear that the keyboard is working fine with the USB 2.0 hub.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos