Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Why NUC8i7HNK is much more hot than NUC8i7HVK in stress test?

I made some stress tests for NUC8i7. I found NUC8i7HNK is very easy to reach the max temperature (100℃) in stress test but NUC8i7HVK is never over 90℃.

So I can not understand that NUC8i7HNK 65W TDP is lower than NUC8i7HVK 100W TDP and they have the same cooler. Why NUC8i7HNK is much more hot than NUC8i7HVK?

here is the NUC8i7HNK test result: the temperature reach to 100℃ very quickly in 10 seconds.

compare to NUC8i7HVK test result:

Tags (1)
18 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello qiaojie,

I understand that you are getting different results in the NUC when running a stress test.

Regarding this, I would like to start by telling you that we do not support third party programs used to run stress test as these are designed to push the hardware even over the limit. That is why I want you to try with our software in both of the units, please refer to the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=6642... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=6642...

This software will allow you to run stress tests and check the temperature, please run the test for at least 5 minutes. After done, please take a screenshot of the temperatures and post them here as attachments for more reference.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, why not just try using the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to compare them?

There are significant differences between these two systems. The processors (100W Core i7-8809G vs. 65W Core i7-8705G) and graphics solutions (Vega M GH vs. Vega M GL) are different and thermal envelopes are going to be different as a result. If course, even identical systems are unique in many ways: effectiveness of TIM application, differences in blower RPM at same (PWM) Duty Cycle, etc. and etc.

To answer this from the standpoint of temperature volatility (which I perceive is one of the reasons for this post), the sample set needs to be expanded considerably before any conclusions could be reached.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello David V,

Thnk you for reply. I made the tests with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and got the similar result. please have a look.

here is the NUC8i7HNK result:

here is the NUC8i7HVK result:

We can see that NUC8i7HNK is running at 3.7GHz 49W TDP the temperature is 95~100℃. NUC8i7HVK is running at 3.9GHz 58W TDP but the temperature is 80~85℃.

So this is a strange result. NUC8i7HNK is running at lower frequency and lower TDP but get higher temperature. why?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I also tested with Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. the result is similar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello qiaojie,

Thank you for your response.

I can see that there is a difference between the two devices. Could you please access the BIOS of each of the units and check the cooling option that each one of them has activated? This is important to make sure they have the same profile. You could always just access the BIOS and then take it all back to default. Once this has been done, please run the Intel ® Processor Diagnostic Tool to check the temperature once more.

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello David,

All the tests is made with default BIOS setting. like this:

I notice the BIOS version is different. SO I upgrade the BIOS to 0044 and make a new test.

and sometimes HNK test will be failed like this:

I set the fan speed to full speed (3200RPM) in BIOS, the temperature is still over 95C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello qiaojie,

I have sent you a private message so we can discuss some details and some personal information so we can continue with the support.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you for your help. Because I can't reply the e-mail you sent me. So I reply here.

I'm afraid it's the general issue of NUC8i7HNK not only mine. I asked this question on the forum and I found at least 3 people have NUC8i7HNK and they all meet the same issue. When I play 3d game (like "League of Legends") with NUC8i7HNK the FPS will falldown to 20 (normally is 120) and recover in 1~2 seconds every 10 minutes. I'm not sure if this issue is related to overheating.

I am worried that I will waste time in replace for a new one with the same issue. So I think you can make some stress tests with NUC8i7HNK to confirm this problem then we come to discuss the solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello qiaojie,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello David,

I replaced the thermal compound of NUC8i7HNK. Now the max temperature has dropped to 85c.

The original thermal compound looks bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello qiaojie,

I appreciate the feedback you have provided. Please bear in mind that Intel ® does not recommend to disassemble the NUC. This could potentially void the warranty of the device.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi there, 

Is the physical hardware (e.g. Cooling fan size) same between the two models?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, the chassis are identical so the sizes for the blowers are the same.

Why do you ask? Is there a specific (and separate) issue you want to discuss? If so, please ask your question(s) in a separate conversation.

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Priority is less Fan noise, so wondering if Factory limited TDP is just easiest, most headache-free way to cap the fan. 

If VK model had bigger fans - I could have justified getting that. 

Since this is such a knowledgeable community - if I mostly use CPU and not GPU - what's maximum Watts that CPU can draw out of that 100, and what is the easiest way to control it (again, mainly for fan noise) . 

Any other suggestions regarding the above goals - are welcome and appreciated

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yea, now that Intel has disabled undervolting (because of Pluntervolt! vulnerability), limiting TDP directly or indirectly via simply disabling Intel Turbo Boost are your only options.

VK? Oh, you mean HV (K is just the low-profile chassis type indicator). Bigger compared to what? HN?

The i7-8809G and i7-8705G processors themselves are both 45W TDP. I guess that means the graphics engine is 55W. HN and HV can both consume up to 230W total.

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Man, I LOVE when I get to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. Big thank you. I know it is a simple stuff for you, but trust me, you get so much incompetence these days... don't even get me started....

Yes, I thought the processor ending was VK and NK - but what you explained makes sense. 

You lost me on math though. 45 watt + 55 watt adds up to 100 watts (That makes sense as the HV is rated 100W). ALl other components I would imagine are far from using another 130 (230-100) watts... I know adapter is 230 watts, but there is a lot of redundancy there... what consumes up to THAT much extra?

Since you are so knowledgable, does it by chance have power in through Thunderbolt ports (if I hook up two 100 Watt USB-C chargers)? I just hate to carry another brick :)). I am guessing the answer is probably no, but have not seen documented as such anywhere. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

There are a number of us that volunteer some of our time to help answer questions here. In a number of cases, we are bored retirees. The Intel support engineers can't know everything, so having volunteers who are content experts helps them out tremendously.

I wish everyone would take a minute to read this article (though not today; links to Intel's support site seem to be broken): Intel NUC Product Code Naming Convention so that they understand how to properly refer to their NUC.

No, the combination of the processor and the graphics engine total to 100W. Overall, the HN and HV NUCs can consume up to 230W. Why? Well, support for powering of USB devices, especially those downstream of the USB-C connectors (which support power delivery), consumes a lot of this possible 130W. Somewhere on this site is a conversation discussing replacement power supplies for HN/HV that ends up going into the nitty gritty details of this.

No, none of the existing NUCs can be powered over USB.

...S

Highlighted
Novice

Understood and thank you very much one more time!

I knew the simpler classification (generation, i7, etc.), but HNK and HVK got me!

0 Kudos