Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Why did NUC10 BIOS FN0042.CAP get pulled?

On 6/15/2020 BIOS 0042 for NUC10 (FN) series was published at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29631/BIOS-Update-FNCML357-?product=188811

Now it's gone, been pulled and we are back at 0041

What was the reason? I flashed 0042 on 4 systems already, just want to know if it's buggy, dangerous etc.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I guess due some Troubles.

i am on it since two days and experiencing no issues.

seems a new Version is the way

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

in the meantime Version 42 and 41 are withdrawn on current Version is 39.

To avoid isues i did an recovery to Version 39.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I have 1 system on 0039, one on 0041, and one on 0043.

I guess I'll be saving every BIOS version and release notes PDF I see from now on.  I wish Intel would tell us what's going on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Intel historically does not provide these kinds of updates. I don't expect them to change their policies now.

If a BIOS is withdrawn, it is because it causes errant operation (including potentially bricking systems) or has a security issue.

If a BIOS is withdrawn, it is recommended that you attempt to use the BIOS Recovery process to downgrade to the last supported BIOS version.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

i chatted with an support agent and he recommended to recover to version 39.

however the agent doesnt sound like an human and did not answer my question, just this recommendation.

anway, if there would be an big trouble with the withdrawn version, i guess intel would have noted or communicated somehow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

LOL! No, there's no automated response capability; that was a real person. I sure wish they would do more than provide boilerplate responses.

Sadly, no, they do not provide notifications for withdrawn BIOS releases. The support engineers may end up talking about them, but they don't have a place to put notices of this type. Wish they would, however.

Edit: Here's an example: Suppose there was a security issue in a BIOS. Standard policy in most companies is that you do not talk about security issues until a solution is available. In this case, they would pull the BIOS and then nothing would be said until the replacement BIOS was available. This example I accept; that's policy in many companies. The case that I (and obviously you) find problematic are the ones where the BIOS is bricking folks and nothing gets said.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

And standard policy is to not inform customers that they BIOS versions they've downloaded over the last 4 months are unstable / insecure?

There's no excuse for this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

it works okay with bios 42, would be nice to see something new soon. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Any update on this? 42 and 41 still gone, we are at 39 again

Is there a newer / safe version that can be downloaded?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I have a support case open with Intel, and they told me this:

FNCML357.0042, FNCML357.0041

Reason for removal
The BIOS changes the SATA Mode Selection to AHCI when it should be set to: Intel® RST Premium with Intel Optane System Acceleration or RAID. This causes the Intel® NUC not to boot.

I have no idea if that's the only reason for removal.  I have no idea why they don't make this info public.

Highlighted
Beginner

@sbmi Thank you for that info.  Yes I agree some public info on why these are removed would be very helpful (please INTEL !!) otherwise we are left worrying that maybe a flashed BIOS got pulled for something more serious, some crashing/memory corruption/etc ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I believe this happened to me too, with no way to get back to Optane.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Intel released FN0043.CAP.

Highlighted
Beginner

shows BIOS 43, then on the download page, it's 39?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Could be a caching issue? I got 43 when I downloaded it this morning

SHA256 hash is 2163557940e6a55b9909e89218144561a7870105b12edb32edac668ab8f1f5eb

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It seems that version 0043 is only available for NUC10i3FNH. But you can read latest release notes and wait.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29707/BIOS-Update-FNCML357-?product=195506

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Link at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29707/BIOS-Update-FNCML357-?product=98414 says that "This download record provides options for updating the BIOS for Intel® NUC Kits NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN and NUC10i3FN."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Have they pulled it again?

I am on 0042 after 0041 on my NUC10i5, and both had problems with restarting after BIOS updates. They "forgot" several settings and devices were disabled and such things.

Edit to clarify: since I restored my settings, everything is going fine with 0042.

0 Kudos