Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JREay
Beginner

Why does Management Engine Consumer Driver for Intel keep saying its out of date

I've run the auto update on my Nuc7i5bn and it tells me the version I have installed is 11.7.0.1045 and that the latest version is 11.7.0.1058 but I've downloaded and installed 11.7.0.1058 or so I thought

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Agentii,

I understand you are installing Intel® Management Engine version 11.7.0.1058. Let me help you on this matter.

I have checked our download center site and I noticed we have a different version available for your Intel® NUC model version 11.8.50.3426

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26482/NUCs-Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Int... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26482/NUCs-Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Int...

This will install Management engine driver 11.7.0.1045 as the supported version for your chipset model. Please check the notes of the driver you are trying to install.

Regards,

Allan J.
JREay
Beginner

Thanks Allen

But why does the driver & support assistant still report that it's out of date

regards James

idata
Community Manager

Hi James,

I had the same issue with my NUC7i7BNH showing "Management Engine Driver out-of-date".

Didn't really bother me, but I decided to removed Management Engine completely. My HTPC system seems to be running just fine without it.

Allan,

As far as I know, Intel ME is a chipset subsystem. Windows 10 does not detect it in the Device Manager and does not require its driver.

The driver download page talks about it being required for enabling HDR content. However, most monitors are not HDR capable.

Any other reason to install this driver? Please link a detailed documentation, so we understand what Intel Management Engine actually is.

Thanks,

Erez.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

• Re: "removed Management Engine completely" - No, you didn't; all you did was remove the Management Engine Interface driver and associated software.
  • Re: "My HTPC system seems to be running just fine without it" - True; until you reach the day where either (a) you want to play certain kinds of protected content (HDR isn't the only thing) or (b) you want to enable Windows security features like Bitlocker.
  • Re: "Windows 10 does not detect it in the Device Manager and does not require its driver" - Not true; the Management Engine Interface (MEI) is exposed and Windows needs to install a driver for it.
  • Re: "most monitors are not HDR capable" - True for most existing monitors, but most of the emerging (4K) monitors (and TVs, especially) *will* have HDR support.
  • Re: "Please link a detailed documentation, so we understand what Intel Management Engine actually is" - There is a *ton* of information on the ME on Intel's Support site (and it has been there for years). Feel free to wander through it. You can also get a reasonable overview by going to Wikipedia and looking at the entry for "Intel Management Engine".

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

So Management Engine Interface Driver is needed if I "want to enable Windows security features like Bitlocker". Isn't this what Software Guard Extensions (SGX) does? I'm confused...

I noticed that PowerDVD cannot play BluRay discs without SGX being installed and enabled in BIOS. Is MEI also involved in BluRay content playback?

Regards,

Erez.

n_scott_pearson

No, but I understand your confusion; there is a lot to read if you want to understand this (I can't keep it all straight and I actually owned a ME subsystem for a number of years). SGX and other features are (at least partially) implemented within the ME and communication with the ME is required - and yes, that can include BluRay content playback - I quote from Cyberlink's FAQ: "Intel Management Engine driver with version 11.6.0.1126 or above is required for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback features."

...S

idata
Community Manager

RB_1
Beginner

I would like an answer to this as well. If 11.7.0.1045 is the correct version for this model, why does the intel driver and support assistant continue to incorrectly tell me there is an update? I know the easy answer right now is to ignore the warning, but sooner or later there will in fact be an update for this model and I'll miss it because I'll still be ignoring it.

n_scott_pearson

First of all, remember that you are ignoring the issue only after you have installed twice and it still thinks there is an update. Secondly, at the same time that you decide to ignore it, you should be reporting it here (so development team gets report). Finally, if a version is posted with a later version number that what you saw when you hit the issue, you should be running the installer.

...S

BMcDo2
Beginner

Can anyone tell me what exactly I should be installing within this package. Like the original poster - I am getting an software update warning after trying to update this software twice.

I am confused on the package itself - whether I need to full blown software suite or just the driver or what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

B