Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stian
Beginner

Why does my NUC8i7HVK turn on my TV even when the NUC is shut down?

I recently bought a new Intel NUC8i7HVK and almost everything is perfect. However, one thing is really annoying. I use a Samsung TV as monitor and the NUC makes the TV turn on by itself when it shouldn't. Here is a short description of the problem:

1. I take a break and turns off the TV but leave the NUC on. After a few minutes the TV turns back on without any interaction from me.

2. I shut down the NUC completely and turns off the TV. After a few minutes the TV turns back on, again without any interaction from me.

To prevent this from happening I have to disconnect the NUC from the TV by unplugging the HDMI cable. Another solution that also works is to disconnect the power supply from the NUC.

I am pretty sure that the NUC is the problem. I have connected a laptop PC to the same TV, using the same HDMI cable connected to the same HDMI port in the TV, and everything works as expected. The TV never turns on when it shouldn't.

I have tried disabling the HDMI CEC completely in the NUC's BIOS but the problem remains. It no longer turns the TV on when it starts, but still turns it on a few minutes after I have turned the TV off.

I have also tested by connecting the NUC to other HDMI ports using other cables. The problem remains.

Another thing that makes me suspect that something is wrong with the HDMI connection on the PC side is that the Samsung TV doesn't recognize the NUC as a PC. It recognizes the laptop as a PC after a few seconds.

I have contacted my local vendor and I have been offered to return the NUC for replacement or repair. However, if this is a common problem for all similar NUCs it will be a lot of work for everybody without any rewards.

Furthermore, if it's possible for me to fix this on my own, please advise how to proceed.

My hardware is as follows:

Intel Board ID Tool reports:

Board Model: NUC8i7HVB

Board Version: J68196-502

BIOS Version: HNKBLi70.86A.0053.2018.1217.1739

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

Samsung UE65MU8005 is used as monitor running UHD 60 Hz through HDMI 2.0

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Stian, We would like to gather more information in order to troubleshoot this issue 1. "I shut down the NUC completely and turns off the TV. After a few minutes the TV turns back on, again without any interaction from me" > What happens after the TV is turned on? Does the Intel® NUC boot into Windows* 10? 2. This could be caused by a TV setting. Is there a timer or any other setting that may be causing this behavior? 3. Are you running the latest firmware of the TV? 4. Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to gather your system configuration: 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91... 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Adding to Wanner's list, I believe that this can also be caused by using the wrong input port on the TV.

A potential workaround for this issue might be to use a mDP-to-HDMI adapter. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0BWR2K. Note that there is no support for HDR, unfortunately. You may be able to find a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter that supports HDR, however.

Hope this helps,

...S

Stian
Beginner

Wanner:

1. The Intel NUC is not affected when the TV turns on. This option is not enabled in the BIOS.

2. TV settings is not causing this problem. It only happens when the NUC is connected. When I connect another PC to the same HDMI port using the same cable the TV does not turn on.

3. Yes, the TV is always connected to the Internet and auto-updates with the latest firmware.

4. I have downloaded and executed the Intel System Support Utility. The result is attached as "SSU System Information.txt"

Scott:

I have tried all four HDMI-ports on the TV with exactly the same result.

Thanks for the tip. Using one of the other display output ports on the NUC with an adapter might work. However, I don't have any adapters so I cannot test this at the moment. Anyway, I regard this as a problem that should be fixed and I will return the NUC for replacement if this is not a known problem for all similar NUCs.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Stian, Thank you for your response. We have not experienced or heard of this issue before, but we are not saying that your Intel® NUC is not causing it. We recommend checking the following information: 1. Your unit supports HDMI* 2.0. Try using another HDMI* cable compliant with this technology. 2. Try disconnecting the TV from the Internet and see if the issue persists. If you are using a USB wireless adapter, try disconnecting it, too. 3. Load default BIOS values: 1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup. 2. Press F9 to set defaults. 3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS. 4. If the issue persists, mainly when both devices are turned off, then we recommend contacting Samsung* and check if there is any driver available that you can install or if this is expected behavior. 5. Replacing this unit can also fix this issue. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Stian
Beginner

Wanner

I have ordered a new HDMI cable (https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-AV10175/) and will perform the tests you suggest when I get the cable. However, I have already tested with an original PlayStation Pro cable in addition to a few other cables I had available, so my hopes aren't exactly high, but we'll see.

Regarding Samsung, I don't think I'll bother contacting them. I know for sure that my TV software was upgraded a few days ago, and as I've told you, this happens only when the NUC is connected to the TV, not with any of my other devices (Samsung DVD player, PlayStation Pro, Chromecast, Acer laptop plus an Asus Wireless router).

Stian

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Stian, Thank you for the update. Please keep us informed about this. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Stian
Beginner

Hi again,

I have now got my new HDMI cable and are using it to connect the NUC to my Samsung TV. Problem remains.

I have disconnected the network cable from my TV. Problem remains.

I have loaded the default BIOS values. Problem remains.

I have disconnected the NUC from my TV. Problem "solved".

I have not contacted Samsung.

I will return the NUC for replacement.

Stian

Stian
Beginner

I have now received a new NUC from my vendor. Unfortunately, this new machine has exactly the same problem as the old one. This leads me to believe that this is a common problem for all similar NUCs. Nevertheless, I have decided to keep the NUC and turn off HDMI CEC on my TV. It is better to live with a TV that must be controlled manually than a TV that turns itself on all the time.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Stian, We have not been able to replicate this behavior. However, we appreciate your feedback and the workaround you have posted on this Community. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation