Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EDahl2
Beginner

Why does the Intel board id nuc5i5ryk tool detect my nucs wrong?

I have two Intel Nuc 5i3RYK but when I use the Intel board id tool it gets detected as a 5I3RYB or 5i3RYH (I don't remember which one since I run Linux on them now)

I think I've read that it's normal but I just want to be sure. I think It's the slim model and runs the i3-5010u CPU.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @EDahl2​ ,

NUC5i5RYK and NUCRYH are numbers to identify computer model (the second one, with a bay for HDD). In both NUC models, you have installed same board NUC5i5RYB. So, if you see NUC5i5RYB, it is correct.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First, some background information...

The SMBIOS specification defines data structures for returning information about (amongst other things) the board, the chassis and the system. Manageability applications (including the System Information app in Windows) want to display information about the system - but there is a problem. Traditionally, boards (a.k.a. motherboards, baseboards, etc.) are sold as standalone products that are then integrated into a system. The board manufacturer, because their product is only a board, can only provide information about this board. They do not know what chassis will be used nor any of the attributes of the final system. When boards are integrated into a system, the theory is that the Integrator will add the chassis- and system-level information to the SMBIOS data structures. In many cases, however, the board is integrated into a system by the end-user and they know (or care) little about the Integration process or the tools available for adding chassis- and system-level information. As a result, most manageability applications will implement fall-back code that will present the board-level information if the system-level information is not available.

Ok, now we can talk about the NUC products...

Intel sells the NUCs in three forms, as bare boards, as kits and as fully-integrated (what are know as L10) systems. In the case of bare boards - which are essentially the same as the traditional board product - only information about the board can be included in the SMBIOS data structures; nothing else if known. To differentiate this level of product, Intel chose to include a 'B' as the end of the name string to identify that it is a board. In the kit products, Intel provides the chassis along with the board. Because it is known, they add the chassis-level data to the SMBIOS data table. Within this data, the chassis product string removes the 'B' (board) indicator and adds the 'K' (for low-profile) or the 'H' (for high-profile with hard drive bay) chassis type identifier to the string. Since the ultimate system product is still not fully defined, however, only a limited subset of the system-level information can be provided. It is only when you get to the system-level NUC products that the system information can be fully defined and included. This is where additional characters are added to the product name string that indicate things like the system includes Optane memory, the system is destined for some specific part of the world, etc.

In summary, answering the original question, the 'B' that you see indicates that the NUC is a board- or kit-level product and not a fully-integrated system product. This is appearing this way because the manageability applications usually fall-back all the way to the board-level information since, traditionally, the chassis-level information was not provided.

That should explain things fully,

...S