Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Width of a 2.5" drive will not fit the slot on a 10th gen Nuc i5

I just got a brand new Nuc with a 2.5" drive slot. I have tried 3 different 2.5 form factor drives and none of them will slide in. Apparently I will have to sand off the edges until they will fit. I this a common problem? Should I try grease? If this is a generational issue I don't want to swap out for another one with the same problem.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The bay has pressure fit bars to eliminate vibrations. Just push hard and the drive should go in. *Never* sand or file metal around computer equipment. Grease may help, but I don't recommend. If you do, it must be non-conductive and should only be used sparingly.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for such a quick response. I pushed the front tabs out a bit to ease the passage of the drive into the slot but I am still getting stuck at that point directly below the hump. I thought the trick might be to angle down under the hump and then slide straight but that's not so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JSL38 

You need to insert the drive in right direction (to align with the connectors). See this video, starting form minute 16:00, showing how to install the drive in the drive bay. This list shows the Intel validated components (including 2.5" drives), for your NUC. If drive that you have bought is not listed on this page, it only means that it wasn't tested by Intel, however still may be compatible with your NUC.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I am following that instruction without success. I should say that I have built 5 Nucs previously without encountering a fit issue of this kind. I ordered another 2.5" drive, hoping that there is enough variance to fit. I was unable to find a list of Intel approved 2.5" SSDs. I looked at the video link and saw what looked like my usual approach and result.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JSL38 

Sorry, I forgot to give you this link to Intel Validated SSD. Here is this link.

Please pay attention that the maximum drive thickens shall not exceed 9.5 millimetres.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I finally solved my fit problem with an AData Ultimate Series SU650. It was apparently a micron or two narrower than my older drives and slid into the slot very easily. It was also a lesser height (7mm) though that seemed not to be the binding point. 

Thanks to everyone who offered helpful suggestions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I should add that the link to the approved 2.5" drives stated that only 7mm height drives are supported. So maybe that was the binding point. the AData was not one of the approved drives.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Yes, right 7 mm maximum thickness.

Leon

0 Kudos