cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Wifi connectivity problems when using usb to hdmi adapter

Jump to solution

I have a NUC7i3BNH and when I connect a wavlink usb to hdmi adapter, the wifi connection is essentially lost. Windows shows I am connected to the wifi without problems. If I use the windows diagnose tool it says it cannot reach the dns server.

As soon as I disconnect the usb to hdmi adapter the connectivity returns and everything works without a problem. The Wavlink adapter uses displaylink drivers and the second screen works. The second screen does not have to be turned on for the wifi problem to occur.

I have already tried reinstalling the intel wifi and bluetooth driver, uninstalling the intel management engine software and intel software guard extension. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and disable software guard extensions in the BIOS.

The ethernet connectivity works without a problem even with the usb to hdmi adapter plugged in.

I am attaching the system info generated by Intel system support utility.

The problem is definitely the usb to hdmi adapter or its displaylink driver as I can connect and disconnect it and see connectivity disappear and come back.

I am looking for suggestions on what to do next to solve this problem.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
  1. The problem may be caused by EMI interference from Wavlink adapter.
  2. Please try to connect the Wavlink adapter to other USB port and/or using USB extension cable in order to move this locate this adapter in some distance from NUC and NUC WiFi antennas.
  3. The NUC WiFi adapter is working in dual channel mode - 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. If you are connected now to your internet source (router) with 2.4GHz mode, try to work with 5GHz.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User
  1. The problem may be caused by EMI interference from Wavlink adapter.
  2. Please try to connect the Wavlink adapter to other USB port and/or using USB extension cable in order to move this locate this adapter in some distance from NUC and NUC WiFi antennas.
  3. The NUC WiFi adapter is working in dual channel mode - 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. If you are connected now to your internet source (router) with 2.4GHz mode, try to work with 5GHz.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Leon is correct. The issue here is that USB 3.0 utilizes 2.4GHz signalling. If you are using a poor quality, unshielded USB cable (or adapter), then this cable (or adapter) could act as an antenna and thus will interfere with 2.4GHz Wireless and Bluetooth signalling. Switching to the 5GHz band will alleviate the issue for Wireless communications. Alas, the same cannot be said for Bluetooth, which always utilizes the 2.4GHz band. If the adapter is responsible for the issue, using a good quality USB 3.0 extension cable to move the adapter as far away from the NUC as possible can also help.

Hope this explains it,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Using a USB extension cable fixed the problem, but the interesting thing is that with the usb/hdmi adapter connected to the computer via a USB extension cable, I can place the usb/hdmi adapter on top of the computer and the wifi works normally. It does not make a difference whether the adapter is close to the computer or not as long as it is connected with the USB extension cable.

Thank you for all the answers.

PS: I am only using 2.4Ghz wifi.

0 Kudos