Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11283 Discussions

Will NUC8v7PNH work H10 Optane with SSD memory

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi, as title really, the H10 (https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/memory-storage/optane-memory/optane-memory-h10-solid... is optane with SSD built in, cant find part numbers on this page... !

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You may use one - and only one - Optane device in a system. This can be an M10 Optane Module being used to accelerate the performance of a separate, SATA-based HDD or it can be a H10 Optane SSD, where the Optane portion of this drive is used to accelerate the performance of the SSD portion of this drive.

This page details the NUC models that support Optane modules: Installing Intel Optane Memory on Intel NUC KitsYes, the PN NUCs support this capability.

Hope this helps,

...S

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi, this raises a few questions...

- How does the optane memory work if both M.2 and SATA drives are installed?

- Is it OS dependent (so needs drivers in the OS to work or is it a BIOS level caching system)?

n_scott_pearson

I presume you are referring to the use of an M10 Optane Memory Module to accelerate a HDD. A portion of the support for acceleration is implemented in the chipset (the PCH component). Since the M.2 ports are downstream of the PCH, the PCH is able to manage it and, to the O/S, make the combination look like a single drive. It does, however, require that the BIOS do some special remapping of the PCIe steering so that the PCH can manage it. This is very similar to Intel RST, which can only implement RAID0/RAID1 on NVMe SSDs if the BIOS does similar remapping.

Intel RST RAID and Intel Optane-based drive acceleration are implemented partially in hardware, partially in firmware (including BIOS) and partially in O/S-present software. While Intel is working to expand this, the software portion is currently only implemented for Windows. No support for Linux is yet available.

Hope this helps,

...S

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

So if the H10 is used in Linux will there be no benefit?

Is an M10 is used, can either M.2 or SATA be selected as accelerated?

n_scott_pearson

Linux will see the Optane portion of a H10 SSD as a separate small SSD. It will have no benefit other than that. Similarly, Linux will simply see the M10 Optane module as a small SSD.
Windows can use the M10 Optane module to accelerate the performance of a SATA-based SSD or HDD.
...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @GRIFFCOMM 

I'll add to Scott's posts the Intel Memory M and H Series Installation Guide  and Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory page with additional information for your questions.  There you may find all the necessary information.

Leon