Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Will a Ram stick with 2133HZ speed work with NUC8i7HVK?

The Ram specs are:

Kingston - DDR4 - 16 GB - SO-DIMM 260-pin

2133 MHz (PC4-17000) 1.2V

Will this work even though NUC8i7HVK lists as supporting 2400HZ+?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, it will work just fine. Lower speeds are always supported.

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

I already looked there.

This is why I made this thread in the first place

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

Lonku,

If the Kingston part is: KNVHFY-MIA/NVHFY, that memory is validated by Intel.

I personally find many more modules will work, that are not "validated" by Intel. It's also not clear when they reach a point where they stop validating memory.

For example, does Intel reach a "critical mass" and just stop, or is it on-going?

Seems logical that when they reach critical mass that it is no longer cost effective. But I really don't have a clue.

Let us know how it works out, if you decide to go with that part.

Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

There are certainly many other modules that will work without issue. Compatibility is an ongoing thing, but Intel is reliant on vendors and customers being interested in providing them with samples to validate. If they don't get samples, then no tests are going to get run. Over time, vendors will be even less inclined to provide samples for older/slower products and the updates will eventually peter out. I would personally like to see Intel do more to track what specific parts customers are using, what specific parts are working and what specific parts are found to be incompatible. You see reports from folks here in the forums regarding what doesn't work, but never anything out of Intel themselves (because of statement liability).

...S