Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Will the new Gemini Lake NUC NUC7PJYH with Pentium J5005 support Audio HD passthrough and HDR?

Hello all,

is someone informed about, if the new Gemini Lake NUC NUC7PJYH with Pentium J5005 support Audio HD passthrough and HDR?

I want to buy a new Media Mini PC with native HDMI 2.0 and without DP converter chip, as it is in the i7/i5/i3 NUCs.

Greetings

Berni

0 Kudos
20 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello bernisv,

Thank you for contacting us.

I was reading your thread and I noticed that you want to inquire on the features of our upcoming NUC7PJYH.

It will be more than a pleasure to assist you with your inquiry.

I am forwarding your case to the right team of support so they can discuss the information.

As soon as I have an answer I will get in touch with you in order to help you with the requested features.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Best Regards,

Diego S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Berni,

No HDR support in Gemini Lake (NUC7PJYH) and please allow me a couple of days to check about HD Audio pass-through support, I still need confirmation on this topic.

Thanks,

Ronny G
idata
Community Manager

Hello Berni,

I just have confirmation that it will do pass-through.

Regards,

Ronny G
idata
Community Manager

Hello all,

THX for fast information :-)! But it is really a mess, that Intel has no HDR support on lower end SOC NUCs, but also didn't have native HDMI on i7/i5/i3 NUCs (only with DP bridge chips, which make many problems, for example with 3D MVC). So there is not a really HTPC as a media player alternative from Intel in the year 2018. Sorry, this is unbelievable folks! You know, that you can roll over the market of media players, when you have a NUC with 3D MVC AND 4K HDR support?

So ill have to buy a lower picture quality equipped media player, like Zidoo, etc.., instead of an Intel NUC, that normally should have this features and from quality standpoints blow out these other boxes out of the market.... It is really sad.....

But nevertheless, THX for the superfast information :-)!

Greetings Berni

idata
Community Manager

Hi Berni,

Thanks for your feedback, I will bring it up to the team working on the NUC product family for future consideration. We do have some products being released this year that may fulfill your needs, I would recommend that you keep an eye on the Intel Newsrooms, for instance: https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-launches-powerful-intel-nuc-smallest-vr-capable-system-ever/ https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-launches-powerful-intel-nuc-smallest-vr-capable-system-ever/ and also on https://ark.intel.com/ https://ark.intel.com/

Regards,

Ronny G

mHoug
Beginner

the new NUC looks great but unfortunately i will not purchase anything intel again as i feel extremely let down with my NUC7 and media support in windows in general, hard to believe a £100 box works better than a £500 NUC

Ronny_G_Intel

Thanks for pointing that out, we will be fixing the documentation.

Thanks,

Ronny G

MPres3
Beginner

Hi,

The advertising material still states HDR support. Could you please confirm that this material will be updated with the correct No HDR support or is intel going to continue false advertising the product?

GJosh2
Beginner

I am now again confused. As there is conflicting answers related to HDR support from Intel reps related to NUC7CJYH/PJYH.

Refer

Ronny_G_Intel

I apologize for the inconvenient, the marketing material is being updated, this product does not support HDR.

DDGUK
Beginner

Hi. Can you confirm if the hardware is capable of HDR and if not detail explanation of why the hardware isnt capable.

It maybe a case that its just the software at this point in time doesnt support the hardware for HDR.

See proof of concept on linux for HDR

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-December/036403.html https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-December/036403.html

RonaldM_Intel

Hello DaveyDGUK,

HDR support on Gemini Lake is not POR (Plan Of Record), thus hardware validation results aren't available.

I know this isn't the level of detail you are looking for, but at least the confirmation I can provide is that HDR support won't be coming to this platform.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

DDGUK
Beginner

What about POCR. Plan of customer requirements.

It seems like the hardware according to conversations with asrock is capable, but intel once again is sitting on the fence post just so they can sell more expensive i3 cpus which are capable of HDR.

This reminds me of driver issues passing HD sound via hdmi. Same old chestnut.

Proved through linux it was/is possible.

You advertised this product originally with HDR.

AMorr4
Novice

DaveyDGUK,

you're so right: I just happened to stumble in this thread /message/531721# 531721 here.

According to its original specs such a NUC (as well as I don't know how many other models/generations of NUCs) was supposed to be able to pass-through PCM up to 24bit@192kHz.

Of course, they later removed such a mention from the specs. And, just a couple of months later (as confirmed just a couple of posts down in the same thread) they also removed any reference to 24@96kHz.

I mean: 24bit@96kHz??? Not supported! LOL

That's HD audio passthrough, right?

I mean, they don't have to do any kind of decoding/processing of that, just let the PCM bitstream pass though the HDMI port, interleaved with the video signal...

Yet, it seems they don't feel ashamed (in 2018) of writing down in their own forum (and specs) that they're not even capable of passing thru a 24@96kHz PCM bitstream... huh?

And btw, please note: 8 channels of 24bit@192kHz PCM were already contemplated by the very first HDMI specification (ver.1.0: December 2002).

I was quite surprised when I found out that a company like Intel plays around with their specs this way (and without any kind of embarrassment or apology).

But I'm now starting to get used to it. And I won't ever trust an Intel spec again until I have confirmation (directly or from a trusted source) that whatever they promise in their spec is actually delivered by their HW+driver implementation. In the case of the infamous 24bit@192kHz PCM pass-through issue is just a problem with the recent versions of the Intel Display Audio driver (older versions work fine, and even the generic "Microsoft High Definition Audio" driver that comes standard with Windows can handle that...).

Yet, rather than fix such issues, it seems that Intel prefers to downgrade its own specs: it's cheaper, isn't it?

I wonder how long it will take before they get a feeling of how "expensive" such an approach can be.

What's the value of a company credibility?

And once you destroy that, how much does it cost to get it back?

DDGUK
Beginner

Ok here it a possible legal point of view.

Intel advertises a product prior to release stating it provides certain functionality..

Then they state is doesnt function in to the specification it was sold on initially.

I would call this sharp practice and underhand methods for commercial gain.

AMorr4
Novice

Yes indeed: sooner or later something like that will happen and they will learn the lesson (such problems don't apply just to NUCs, but also to laptops relying on the same kind of Intel SoC platforms - just have a look /message/491519# 491519 here).

And even worse than that: most of such features (such as 24bit@192kHz PCM) are readily available when running Linux (which is "not supported") or even when installing older versions of Intel own drivers, or even with the generic/HW-independent version of such drivers provided by MS (just check again the /message/537742# 537742 thread I already referred you to: the guy confirmed the all PCM sample rates could be achieved installing the old version 6.16 of the Intel Display Audio Driver... huh?).

So it's not just malpractice: it's stupidity itself.

And a change of company name and logo would be very appropriate as "Intel" doesn't appear to apply any longer: it reminds of "Intelligence" and "Intellect" and this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Releasing HW platforms that have certain capabilities and then *decide* not to implement/support them at the driver/sw level is absolute *stupidity*, plain and simple.

Especially if you announce such capabilities in your specs when these platforms are first released, and then after a year or so, just downgrade the specs.

And even more so if it can be demonstrated that such capabilities could have indeed been provided (because they are readily available with older and/or generic device drivers)...

Sooner or later this kind behavior will have consequences (maybe even with some OEMs) and Intel will have to grasp that they can't behave like this.

I'm really looking forward to that.

DDGUK
Beginner

@Intel

Hi.

Please can you provide technical detail why the Intel J5005 hardware is not capable of outputting HDR via HDMI.

Is it possibly due to a design floor ?

Can you please come clean and leave out the sales pitch.

Thanks

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello all,

I apologize for the incorrect information published on the marketing material for Gemini Lake, I can personally assure you that it was a honest mistake on the documentation with no other possible intentions.

As explained on the TPS, see https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC7xJY_TechProdSpec.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC7xJY_TechProdSpec.pdf products may contain design defects or errors known as errata that may cause the product to deviate from published specifications. Current characterized errata are documented in the Intel NUC Products NUC7CJY/NUC7PJY Specification Update.

HDR support was not contemplated as part of the product features therefore not validated, the reference to HDR support on the marketing documentation was a mistake, unfortunately since we haven't validated/tested it and there are no plans to do so, we are not able to provide you with technical details about it.

Regards,

Ronny G

DDGUK
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. It seems a shame intel did'nt think about its customers requirement when HDR is common on all TV sets and the Nuc is well renowned for HTPC use.

Hopefully some developer will follow on from this work:-

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-December/036403.html https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-December/036403.html

Final thought is people are buying cheaper android boxes that support HDR, rather than intel products of higher value which dont. Thats a missed opportunity.