cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DK2
Beginner

Win10 64bit on NUC 7i5BNH - getting C++ runtime error running exe

Hi,

I'm trying to run http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/labview/labview_runtime/8.5.1/Windows/LVRTE851std.exe http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/labview/labview_runtime/8.5.1/Windows/LVRTE851std.exe on a new clean NUC with Win10 64bit that has all the required C++ distributions and .net 2 framework and win is up to date.

However, the second I run the exe I get C++ runtime error with no other details (not even in the event viewer.

This exe can run on a regular pc/laptop with win10 64bit with the same background apps while on NUC is can run only under win7.

Why can't I run this app on Win10 NUC?

I wanted to use NUCs as the testing stations in a factory, however, they demand Win10 and I need this LabVIEW (a hardware testing programming language) runtime engine to be installed.

Usually it would be solved with the correct C++ distribution but somehow I can't solve it in the NUC even after running Dependency Walker. Something is different with the Win10 installation here.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello DD1900,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that an application is not running on Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH. I would like to help you.

I would like to know if you have checked hardware and software requirements for this application. It is recommended to make sure that your unit meets the requirements.

Make sure you can check with the application developer. Additionally, I would like to know if you have this issue with other applications.

Wanner G.
DK2
Beginner

Hardware requirement: not an ARM processor and I was able to install it on NUC with win7

Software: this application can run on Win10 64 bit or desktop/laptops with the same packages of c++ and .net

Hardware is ok

You can try to install this app (just to load the installer's first panel and then cancel the installation) on your desktop running Win10 64bit (if it doesn't run you might have to check that in the "add windows features" in "add remove programs" the old .net 3 is enabled).

If you have a NUC running Win7 it will also run there.

Only the combination of NUC + Win10 64bit doesn't work even though it is the same Win10 as in your desktop that did run it (hardware is ok since NUC+Win7 is working and environment is ok since a regular pc can run it with the same environment).

idata
Community Manager

Hello DD1900,

Thank you for your response.

Because this is an issue with LabVIEW in Windows, my recommendation is that you can check the following compatibility issues provided by the developers of the application.

National Instruments Product Compatibility for Microsoft Windows 10

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/52818/en/

Also, please refer to the LabVIEW 2017 Readme for Windows and LabVIEW - Discussion Forums for more information and troubleshooting steps provided by other users.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374715g.html

Wanner G.
DK2
Beginner

OK, since both Intel and NI said they are not responsible I went and tried to downgrade the NUC from WIN10 to Win7 64bit.

However, the installation failed on the start.

It seems like this new NUC can't run Win7 at all and there are no Win7 drivers for it.

Is this true?

Should I start a new post about it?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No point in starting a new discussion. Only Windows 10 is supported on 7th generation and later Intel Core processors. No Windows 7 drivers exist or are supported.

You'll have to get this working on Windows 10 or not at all.

Sorry,

...S

DK2
Beginner

Will a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 in my Windows 10 work?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, you can certainly run Windows 7 in a VM under Windows 10; people do this all the time. Whether this alleviates the issue I cannot say (I can only take your word for whether it always runs cleanly in Windows 7). I think it is worth further investigating why this isn't working, however. There are other .NET versions supported (by default) on Windows 7; have you tried installing more of them, for example. At the same time, however, it sounds like you also need a version of LABVIEW that runs with a later - and safer (read: more secure) - version of the .NET framework. Can the vendor not provide you with this?

...S

AlHill
Super User

There is a pretty good tutorial on hyper-v setup here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2087-hyper-v-virtualization-setup-use-windows-10-a.html Windows 10 Help Forums

I use hyper-v. Easy to use, and does what it is supposed to do. You will not get audio when you bring up your w7 vm. However, if you remote desktop to your w7 vm, you will have audio.

Doc