cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tomel
Beginner

Windows 10 2004 for NUC8I7BEH

Jump to solution

Anybody get the update directly from the Windows Update page for this NUC yet? I decided to wait and not download and install myself due to problems with recent Windows updates. However, it's now been out over a month and update page still says my system is not yet ready. I usually like to get updates ASAP to take advantage of security enhancements, but some of the stuff I'm seeing makes me nervous about side-loading this one.

Opinions? Experiences?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

From my analysis, the outstanding issues that are causing installation holds on the NUCs are as follows:

1. Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel iGPU
    Summary: Enabling VRR on affected devices will not enable the VRR for games using DirectX 9.
    Full Explanation: Available here.
  2. Stop error when plugging or unplugging a Thunderbolt dock
    Summary: Devices using Thunderbolt docks may receive a stop error when plugging in or unplugging the dock.
    Full Explanation: Available here (IMHO most likely reason for your hold).

Why these are taking so long to be root-caused by Intel and Microsoft is anyone's guess. My take is that, unless you (a) have a monitor that supports VRR and you are playing DirectX 9-based games or (b) have a TBT dock plugged into the USB-C TBT3 connector, you should be ok installing 2004 manually. I have updated all of the 7th and 8th gen NUCs with USB-C TBT3 ports and have seen no issues (though I am only ever using the USB and DisplayPort capabilities of these ports). For most of you, the same should apply. Go for it.

...S

View solution in original post

17 Replies
LucF
Novice

Hi, also for my NUC8i5BEH there is still no 2004...

AlHill
Super User

You will have to ask Microsoft why this is the case.

Or, backup your data and be brave.  Install W10 2004 from here (as I would).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc

n_scott_pearson

From my analysis, the outstanding issues that are causing installation holds on the NUCs are as follows:

1. Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel iGPU
    Summary: Enabling VRR on affected devices will not enable the VRR for games using DirectX 9.
    Full Explanation: Available here.
  2. Stop error when plugging or unplugging a Thunderbolt dock
    Summary: Devices using Thunderbolt docks may receive a stop error when plugging in or unplugging the dock.
    Full Explanation: Available here (IMHO most likely reason for your hold).

Why these are taking so long to be root-caused by Intel and Microsoft is anyone's guess. My take is that, unless you (a) have a monitor that supports VRR and you are playing DirectX 9-based games or (b) have a TBT dock plugged into the USB-C TBT3 connector, you should be ok installing 2004 manually. I have updated all of the 7th and 8th gen NUCs with USB-C TBT3 ports and have seen no issues (though I am only ever using the USB and DisplayPort capabilities of these ports). For most of you, the same should apply. Go for it.

...S

View solution in original post

Tomel
Beginner

Thanks n_scott_pearson . . .

Good assessment that gives me some comfort in giving it a try. I do think I'll do a system image first, not just a typical backup. That way, if things go wrong, at least I won't have to reinstall all my applications and settings.

n_scott_pearson

You know the old saying, "Don't count your chickens before they've hatched."

Neither of these issues explains why my NUC5PGYH (which is NUC5PPYH with soldered down eMMC SSD) is also being blocked. Worse, if I attempt to manually install (and walk away, of course, since this takes many hours to run on this slow puppy), sometime during the process it fails and restores 1909. Even worse, since disk space is so tight, an automatic cleanup happens and the log files are deleted before I have a chance to look at them! (Grrrr).

Ok, once more, from the beginning... (and yes, I am turning off the automatic cleanup feature).

...S

JRayn3
New Contributor II

I can confirm I have successfully installed the 2004 upgrade from the notification on the Windows Update page without hitch. Keen followers of my posts (ha ha) might have seen I earlier reported this as a mistake but I was wrong, it was bloody Avast playing silly beggars.

My NUC is the 8i7BEH running Windows 10.

I await a similar notification on my NUC5i5RYH.

AlHill
Super User

Why in the world would you want to use one of the worst AV programs available?<G>

Doc

JRayn3
New Contributor II

I have been wondering that for a while now. Would you be allowed to recommend an alternative here or could you PM me? Or would Windows Security together with Malwarebytes be sufficient to protect my NUC8i7BEH?

AlHill
Super User

Windows Defender is fine by itself.  I also like Malwarebytes.  MB claims they work in conjuction with WD.  I am skeptical about that.  But, one or the other, or both are good.

I have 15 or so machines, all with WD.  I have use MB before as a standalone option.  No complaints.

Doc

JRayn3
New Contributor II

Thank you very much indeed for your reply, Doc. 

You have given me something to think about. I have to say I am very unhappy with all the “useful” interventions this particular AV carries out.

Tomel
Beginner

I too use only MD and MB. Used to use Avast but stopped a couple of years ago due to all the "nagging" and other issues with compatibility.

AlHill
Super User

Just to clarify, while MB claims to run concurrently with WD, this is not the case with other AV products.  With other AV products, running them concurrently with WD IS A BAD THING.  You should never have more than one realtime AV product installed and running.

If you have another product installed, and it only runs when you invoke the product, fine.

When I have MB installed (I do not currently), I use it in standalone mode, only for a second opinion.  Plus, I find that MB is good at getting rid of PUPS.

Doc

Tomel
Beginner

As the OP, I'll note for the record that we're getting a little off the original subject. HOWEVER, interesting and worthwhile discussion and interaction.

I don't run both WD and MB in real time together. I run WD in real time and periodically run MB as a cross-check. Also, even though I only download files from sites I trust, I still do both a WD and a MB scan of the download as a precauiton.

Like I said, interesting discussion.

n_scott_pearson

What's amazing is that I am usually the one who takes conversations down into these rat holes -- and I wasn't even involved this time!

...S    ;^)

AlHill
Super User

I was wondering where you were<G>

Doc

n_scott_pearson

I was too busy giggling to respond.

...S

AlHill
Super User

"Used to use Avast but stopped a couple of years ago due to all the "nagging" and other issues with compatibility."

Well, they have to make you think they are doing something worthwhile.  As I said, Avast/AVG is, in my opinion, the worst of the worst.  They themselves are a virus.

Doc