Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Windows 10 DCH drivers for NUC7i5BNH ??

Just wondering if Intel is planning to release DCH drivers for NUC7i5BNH . The latest graphicsdrivers are from october 2018 (24.20.100.6286)...

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

I use the latest (8280) on my NUC7i7BNKQ, without issue. I know Intel has not released a driver for the NUC7i5BNH SINCE SEPT 2018, which is a crime.

I have used every DCH driver since they were released.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29616/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Doc

Highlighted
Beginner

Anyone who reads this: do NOT try the Windows 10 DCH drivers on a NUC7i5BNH ! (unless you have a backup of your Windows-partition and like to experiment...)

I tried the latest install packages igfx_win10_100.8280. It will not install at first. You need the special manual install instructions. The installation was not smooth...

After install... Blacklevel issue, you need to check the settings of the Graphics Command Center. Testing programs: Youtube movies: blackouts every time I start a movie. Some programs also start with a blackout. Discovered it was related to a video-setting (Color range needs to be set to 'limited'). It did not solve the blackouts completely: some programs (Kodi) were a mess.

No, the current DCH drivers are not recommended for NUC7i5BNH...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

@JKuip​ You may be correct. All I can tell you is that I experienced no problems with the install, or any of the updates, since the DCH drivers were released.

For all listening, it is probably wise to follow JKuip 's advice. If you want to test the DCH drivers, you may experience problems.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

If you install the non-DCH driver version and then install the latest DCH version, you will retain the registry modifications and this will work fine.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I had a good functioning system (Windows 10, 64 Pro) with non-DCH drivers, I followed the special installation guide https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006yRptSAE . Installation was succesful (verified drivers version and date), Windows update completed. Issues started with every movie I played: blackout screen for about 1 second, multiple times during playback. Some programs would start with a blackout. Kodi was terrible, almost every click resulted in a blackout. RGB colour spaces were wrong: either limited or full, never consistant among programs. Settings in Graphics Command Center were good. Did some testing. After a few hours it was clear to me that there were no easy solutions.

And there is no easy way to return to non-DCH drivers and the old Graphics Control Center... It's not wise to try the DCH-drivers on this NUC7i5BNH.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

This might have happened in the earlier days of the DCH-based drivers, but should not happen today. Let me explain. First of all, the difference between the BN-specific and non-BN-specific driver packages is that the installer has been modified to make a BN-unique change in the registry. That's it; there are no driver differences. Secondly, Intel, started with the 8141 release (I think I have the number right; I am not where I can verify), had added support to the package so that it can maintain any unique differences the previous driver package had while still installing the new driver. Before this change took place, a new package would wipe out any unique changes made by previous packages. Thus, if you took one of the DCH-based packages prior to 8141 and overinstall one of the older non-DCH packages, you would wipe out this unique change and, well, you've seen the results -- and, in fact, a later non-DCH package would have done the same thing!!!. Bottom line, with the changes that Intel has made, you should not see this issue. Install the last non-DCH driver package, so that you have the unique registry changes and then install the latest DCH driver package and you should be ok (it is working for me).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Correct: this should not have happened! From the download page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29616/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

:

".. don’t worry about your OEM customizations, they remain intact with each upgrade and the OEMs can maintain customizations separately via Microsoft* Windows Update.."

That gave me confidence to try...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I did some testing. This time Windows 10 (1809), an almost fresh install from january 2019. Same issues. The blackouts were even worse.

Discovered that it is resolution related: HD is fine, UHD (3840x2160) is terrible.

Enough testing. I stick with the old drivers and perfect UHD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JKuip

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that we as a community do not have visibility on plans regarding future products or software/driver/firmware releases and we do not comment on future possible developments.

However, we are going to share your comments with the proper department. We can't guarantee it will be implemented but we will make sure your concerns are routed for consideration. Thank you for your feedback, it is really appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted

1809? Are you kidding? The world is on 1909 and in the process of moving to 2004. Remember that Intel only supports three updates back.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The Windows 10 DCH drivers version 27.20.100.8280 are supported from Windows 10-64  Fall Creators Update (1709)(RS3), as stated on https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29616/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers and during the installation (agreement)...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for your response. I am glad Intel is aware of NUC7i5BNH and its owners.

I am surprised that my experiments turned out so badly. I don't like to be the one who raises a red flag on the current DCH drivers for NUC7i5BNH, that's why I repeated the experiment on a nearly fresh install of Windows 10-64 (1809).

I am very happy with my NUC7i5BNH. It is the best PC I ever owned over 30 years. Fast (NVME SSD), passive cooled, low energy consumption, reliable 24/7, never had a 'blue' screen, UHD, fantastic multimedia on a LG Oled and Denon AVR, etc.

For now there is nothing to worry about except... the future. Any change in Windows that needs a graphic driver update spells disaster...

I do not play games. Maybe for that platform there is a lot to be gained with DCH drivers update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Regardless, and more important, is the 18+ month's worth of (other) bug fixes that you are missing. If there is truly something wrong (I certainly don't see anything), I sincerely hope that they will look at it, but I wouldn't be holding by breath...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

UPDATE: I managed to install the latest DCH drivers without the resulting nasty blackouts!

Just needed to set the monitor (tv) resolution to 1920x1080p. After the installation I could change to 3840x2160p. In UHD-mode a few blackouts did occur but not with video playback. Starting 'Windows Settings', or Notepad...

Windows Update 2004 just finished. Everything seems OK but... the legacy drivers functioned better. Monitor at 60fps + 4k video 60fps: with legacy drivers not a glitch.

I guess all I can do is hope for better times = improvements from Intel?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Glad you have it working.

Doc

0 Kudos