cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Windows 7 stops working with change of system board

Jump to solution

I have a machine which will dual boot into Windows 7 or Windows XP - this was working fine with an Intel D945GNTLR AA C96324 system board.

However, the system board recently failed and I had to replace it - I used an Intel D945GNTLKR AA C96320 as the replacement, which was the closest match I could find at the time, but now I find that although the dual boot menu still appears and it will boot into Windows XP ok from there, it won't boot into Windows 7.

All I get is the "Windows 7 is starting..." message. which looks promising; but it then displays a black screen with the only sign of life being the mouse pointer - which is active, but I can't get the machine to do anything further.

I have been trying to avoid a complete reinstallation of Windows, as I'm trying to preserve the contents of the current hard drives.

Windows repair (either from an F8 boot of the current installation or from a boot from the Windows 7 installation disc) reports nothing wrong that would stop the system booting.

I have replaced the system board before, but that time I managed to find an exact match; maybe, I should keep looking for an exact match again, but any suggestions or other workarounds would be most welcome.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

These are essentially the same board; there aren't any differences that would prevent Windows 7 from booting.

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest available?

Did you purchase this board used? It may be a dud (unfortunately, there are lots of folks that will say it works even if they really don't know/didn't check/know it doesn't/etc.).

Try installing Windows 7 using a different HDD (so you don't muck up the originals until you really have to).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

These are essentially the same board; there aren't any differences that would prevent Windows 7 from booting.

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest available?

Did you purchase this board used? It may be a dud (unfortunately, there are lots of folks that will say it works even if they really don't know/didn't check/know it doesn't/etc.).

Try installing Windows 7 using a different HDD (so you don't muck up the originals until you really have to).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Many thanks for your posting - that was very helpful.

I backed up the present Windows 7 volume (the one that wouldn't start) to keep it safe in case I needed it again and then restored that volume from a previous Acronis backup - that eventually worked and the system now boots into Windows 7 ok.

My guess is that the problem was a corrupted Windows 7 volume and that it had nothing to do with the change of system board - except inasmuch as it was probably during the upheavals of the board failing that the volume became corrupt.

Your assurance that these two system boards are essentially identical was very useful in eliminating possible sources of the problem,