Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GKozs
Beginner

Windows 8.1 on 7PJYH

Hi, just wanna ask if someone already tried to run Win8.1x64 on 7PJYH. After Windows10 update complete broke my analog "HD Audio Controller" (driver issue, exclamation mark) I am pretty sure that i am facing a reinstall. It's documented in other forums what this stup!d OS is doing. I am a pro user and don't have time for this silly OS updates nonsense they are shoving down our throats. Never been a fan of it since day 1 (GWX). Ubuntu's running fine , just considering Win8.1. Anyone got luck with the drivers, before I get to work ?

Thanks

Message was edited by: Gabriel - screenshot added

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You know that W8.x is not supported on your NUC, right?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

Just saying...

Doc

GKozs
Beginner

Hi

Yes I know but I dont mind if it is supported or not. Do the drivers work ? If you install them manually.

G

idata
Community Manager

Hello all.

I would like to confirm that Windows® 10 is the validated OS for the unit as al.hill has advised.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

GKozs
Beginner

Well , I tried Windows 8.1. It works super fast , the boot time is insane compared to Windows 10. Only problem is , you can not install vital drivers. Won't allow you , nor unzipping and choosing specific files, windows 8.1 won't accept files meant for 10 "incompatible OS". I think W8.1 would easily work but Intel has no interest allowing it to, big shame. If one don't want W10 must go Ubuntu or some other flavour.

"validated" is just marketing gimmick for the masses

Here I give you one (out of many) example why I am still reluctant to move to W10 on my desktop rig: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-october-update-deleted-files-intel-drivers,37888.html Windows 10 October Update May Wipe Files, Have Driver Issues (UPDATE)

G

GKozs
Beginner

If I understand your point and article correctly , the issue is not that the intel dev's can't make the drivers for Win8.1/7 ,but Microsoft does allow only Windows 10 on the new CPU generation. Right ?

edit: is "windows updates" really an excuse ? or are there any challenges ?

AlHill
Super User

Yes, only Windows 10 on 7th gen and later processors.

For your second point, I would be speculating. But, the more support they provide, the more it costs them, which may weigh heavily on their decision.

Doc