cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Windows install reboot loop

Hi,

a couple of days ago I got my first Intel NUC (BXNUC10i5FNH2) with a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe (MZ-V7S1T0BW) and 64GB Samsung (2x 32GB, M471A4G43MB1-CTD) memory modules.
I've first updated the BIOS to the most current version (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29924/BIOS-Update-FNCML357-) and then I've tried to install Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, but this is not possible.

When I boot the Windows installer from my USB stick, the NUC restarts constanly and doesn't load the Windows installer. No Windows logo, no progress...

I've loaded the BIOS default settings, disabled secure boot, disabled all features which are not needed (boot from network...) but no success.

Removed the memory modules (one by one) and tried again, doesn't also not work.

I select the USB device, then I see "INTEL NUC" and a small animation at the bottom and the system reboots again and again.

I've several time tried to create a bootable stick (Rufus, MS Media Creation Tool) but no luck. Btw, the USB stick is OK and bootable (tested on antother system).

At the moment, I've no idea what's wrong. Possible hardware-failure?

Thank you!

Daniel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

Update:

BIOS downgraded to 0045 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29829/BIOS-Update-FNCML357-?product=198081), load optimal setting -> no luck

Installed Suse Linux Enterprise 15, working. It seems, hardware is OK.

Tested Windows 2004, 20H2 -> no luck, same error (reboot loops, no installer screen...).

Really annoying, buggy and frustating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello Daniel,

1. Prepare your Installation USB using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  

2. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.

3. With the installation media inserted into rear USB slot, power ON your NUC and repeatable press F10 to get Boot Menu.

4. In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.

5. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation.

6. In para. 8 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought

7. Skip on para. 13 and continue in para. 14. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.

8. Press Next and continue with the installation.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

thank you for your answer!

Step 1-4 -> no problem, all done. But then, the NUC reboots shortly after accessing the USB boot device. The Windows installer doesn't boot. But, the USB device is OK, the Windows installation starts on another system from the same USB device. And, it doesn't mater if the installation media is created with the Media Creation Tool or Rufus for example (see also my initial post). 

So, I'll bring the NUC back to the seller and try another one. RAM and NVMe should hopefully be OK (also new and all components are on the Intel HCL), but who knows...

Thank you!

Daniel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Daniel,

It looks very strange for me, since on the same hardware you have successfully installed Linux. Did you? I believe that you have used other USB stick for Linux installation? If yes, can you try other USB stick? 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

yes, Linux was sometimes running but there were also some sporadic errors during reboots (initramfs unpacking failed) or the system hangs from time to time. The USB stick was OK (tried on another system) but I've also tried another USB stick without success. The Windows installation did not start (no Windows logo or else, just reboot loops).

The dealer has now replaced the Intel NUC and now, everythings is working (with the same memory modules, NVMe and USB stick). Really strange...

Thank you!

Daniel