cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMol
Beginner

actual nuc5cpyh not boot from sd, older can

Hi all,

in 04 Feb 2016 I bought a NUC5CPYH. From the beginning it boots from SD an Ubuntu without any other storage. Days ago, the device dies i don't know why, it runs for a few minuts and then nothing. Well, it has been working fine so i decide to buy the same model again, plug the memory, the SD and try to boot. It shows the typical message that can't find a bootable device. No problem, i get into the BIOS and ... i can't see the SD card in any option. The broken NUC5CPYH comes with the Visualbios 2.2.16 and the new one with the 2.2.20 version. Then, need i to do a downgrade to get the SD boot option?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello juanmol ,

Did you check if your SD card is still bootable (maybe on other computer)?

Can you prepare bootable USB stick?

Leon

JMol
Beginner

hi lw1948 , if i plug the sd into the broken NUC, works ... for 5 minutes, but boots.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello juanmol ,

I'm not sure if you are reading the bios version correctly. The latest Bios release for NUC5CPYH is ver 0069 dated 14 Mar 2018 : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27621/BIOS-Update-PYBSWCEL-86A-?product=85254 Download BIOS Update [PYBSWCEL.86A]

The SD card compatibility with Linux OS's has been improved in ver 0047. So, at first I suggest to download latest bios file PY0069.bio, save it on USB stick, fully formatted to FAT32 (disable the quick format option while formatting). Format this USB in Windows machine (not Linux or MAC). Update Bios using F7 method: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005850/mini-pcs.html F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Leon

JMol
Beginner

hi again, the new NUC comes with 0069, but i have reinstaled it ... with the same results.

Then i have try to install 0043 that is the version on the broken NUC, but boots from sd, and shows the message that cannot be installed installed, invalid version.

What can i do?

JMol
Beginner

i'm reading this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006922/mini-pcs.html BIOS Version Downgrade Instructions for Intel® NUC and ... i can't do it. I've try with all previous version to the 0069 and always shows the incompatibility version bios message. Only let me install the current 0069 version.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Pay attention that in Bios ver 0069 the Fixed Disk Boot Sector is set to Write Protect (in the previous version it was set to NORMAL). See in Advanced>Security. So, try to set it to Normal . In my opinion it is not advisable to download bios so many version back. Due to security updates, in some cases it is not possible.

Leon

JMol
Beginner

it was in normal i have try write protect and again normal, same results. Can't boot from sd with the 0069 bios, with the 0043, yes.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

According to the BIOS Release Notes, you will not be able to downgrade to any BIOS below 61 (PYBSWCEL.86A.0061.2017.0110.1407) due to security enhancements being included in that BIOS release.

Visual BIOS is simply a UEFI program that supports the display of the BIOS configuration parameters and allows them to be changed. It is totally separate from the BIOS itself and its versioning has absolutely nothing to do with the capabilities that are offered by the BIOS.

...S

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

I checked BIOS 0068 & 0069 and neither of these will boot the SD Card with Linux. Using 0062, I was able to boot to the latest Ubuntu 18.04 LTS from the SD Card. This was using F9 defaults BIOS settings. Only other change was changing the OS Selector in the BOOT tab to Linux.