cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

an issue in the very beginning

Dear Team,

New NUC8i7BEH (SSD Samsung Evo Plus 250 Gb and 16 Gb (2 pcs per 8 Gb) Memory). No OS.

First activation of NUC - no bootable drives detected. No drives in UEFI (just 2 LANs are being displayed) and as well in Legacy. Legacy Boot is checked - "No Boot Drive".

But in PCI section the Samsung EVO is listed.

Pls do tell me what is up? I updated BIOS firmware to the latest version (0085). I have already got the same picture for 2 days.

No USB flash drive is being detected too (UEFI/Legacy), but F7 is active and I succeeded to update BIOS version via USB-flash drive.

Hope you have experience like that in similar issues. What shall I do in order to clarify the situation - to figure out what unit/component is in malfunction?

Thanks a lot in advance.

S

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @sb----71 

Do I understand your post well? You have powered ON new NUC8i7BEH without Windows installed and your are asking why you see a message "no bootable drives detected."? Please correct me if I understood  your question wrong. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for interest givem to my post.

Yes, you did understand right way. Niether inner installed SSD no attached USB-flash drives with various images ready to install are bein detected. UIFE and Legacy, as I have mentioned, also dont show any drives...Legacy underlines -- no drives to boot...UEFI shows two LANs only...

I should specify - for my task I don't need Windows and anyhting like that. I am about to install closed OS in the capacity of an image burned on flash drive. I need Legacy to shows me the internal SSD with priority to install onto from the flash drive attached (with an image burned).

S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for typos, texting from my smartphone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I don't have to much experience in installing "closed OS" on NUC. however, I want to clarify some points:

1. Your SSD is probably Samsung 970 Evo Plus and this is a NVMe drive. NVMe drive can boot only in UEFI boot environment. In order to boot into legacy mode you should use SATA drive.
  2. You need to have Secure Boot disabled in BIOS.
  3. After power ON, when you see the Intel Logo and the F2, F7, F10 menu, press on F10 to boot into Boot Menu and see if you see there your bootable USB.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Until you have a bootable device installed, you aren't going to see any entries in the Boot Order lists. That is, you need to install Windows on your SSD before it will appear.

If you need to create a properly-formatted USB flash drive for the UEFI installation of Windows, go to another Windows PC and open this URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Click on the Download Tool Now button and follow its instructions to download the Windows image and to format and load your USB flash disk.

If you have a properly formatted and loaded USB flash drive for Windows 10 installation, insert it into one of the USB ports, power on and, when the "Intel NUC" splash screen appears, press F10. The menu that will appear will allow you to indicate which drive you want to boot from (choose the USB flash driver, obviously).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos