Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Employee

audio device disappearing

All,

I've seen a few threads related to my issue but no solution that I found

/thread/108325 https://communities.intel.com/thread/108325

/message/453487# 453487 https://communities.intel.com/message/453487# 453487

I have exactly the same issue where audio device disappears when amplifier and/or TV is turned off. I have 2 new NUC7i5bnh with updated bios/drivers etc. And, I get the problem on 2 different setups (1 going to onkyo receiver; 1 going to Samsung TV directly). I can reboot the NUC as stated below. Or, I can disable then enable the sound device in device manager. This is better but still a pain.

Is there a solution here? This seems like a intel sound driver problem as I have another HTPC (using nVidia discrete card) that drives a similar Onkyo receiver and I never have this issue.

From 1st link above:

Using this as an HTPC for my mom. Right now it's hooked up HDMI into her receiver, which then of course connects to her TV HDMI. It works great, no problems, until she stops for the night and turns off her TV and Receiver. When this happens, the NUC (Windows 10 x64) shows the speakers are disconnected. Since the receiver is off, and the audio device is the HDMI, that makes sense. The problem is it doesn't come back when everything gets turned back on. We have to reboot the NUC to get it to recognize it again, and this gets annoying because it kills the VPN and I have to remote in and reconnect it and so on and so forth. The audio device still shows up in device manager, but does NOT show up at all under playback devices, even as a disconnected device. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

I have the same issue (again). Not exactly sure if it was due to the latest bios which was released a few days ago.

I also have another problem in the past few days. When I shut down my NUC, the screens go blank. The keyboard & mouse light go out but the (rectangle) LED & the power LED are still ON and I can still hear the NUC fan spinning.

I can only shut down by manually hold the power button because the keyboard & mouse has no response (assumed already turned off).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello easperhe and bigbear

Thank you for joining the community.

Testing purposes do you have the same output if the TV is directly connected to the NUC?

In order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.
Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Here you go. Thx.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello bigbear

Thank you for your response,

Could you provide me with video cable type and model for the connection used on your environment?

For testing purposes try the driver 24.20.100.6136 for your Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640, please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27847/a08/win64_24.20.100.6136.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27847/a08/win64_24.20.100.6136.zip
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
  15. And let me know if you have any issues during the installation.
Hope this help.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have 2 monitors.

1. USB-c to display port to Dell U2417H

2. HDMI to HDMI to Dell UP2716D

I use the 3.5mm analog port on the UP2716D to connect to my powered speakers.

I can see both Dells are the audio devices and both would disappeared after wake up from sleep.

The other connections are only my keyboard & mouse via USB-A and a LAN connection to my router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

For the 24.20.100.6136 driver, it is specific to the NUC?

I tried the generic one (from Intel) before and it complained it is not for this hardware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello bigbear

Thank you for your response.

The driver 24.20.100.6136 is the generic driver for the HD graphics controller on the NUC; in this case please follow the steps provided previously to install the diver.

Could you try the unit using one display at the time (HDMI® to HDMI® then USB-C to HDMI®)? Please provide me with the output of that test.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I only allows me to select the folder so I select the "Graphics".

It came back saying The best drivers for your device are already installed.

ps. I check I am still on 24.20.100.6025.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Disable 2381 Intel Display audio Device in Sound Control Panel.

Set your TV as Default Communication Device.

This setup sorted out my audio and Icon issues

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Can you explain in more details?

I already disabled the realtek audio and the other display port hdmi interface.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

This is my sound setting available directly from control panel or via settings/system/sound/Sound Control Panel

I have disabled 2381 Intel Display audio(not sure if it's needed if you have audio on Thunderbolt Port, I only have My Display on Thunderbolt)

SHARP TV on HDMI is set as my Default Communication Device and Default Device.

I also Disabled Realtek Audio.

I have a small USB soundbar attached to a USB port on the back via a 7 port USB HUB that also does WEBCAM(microphone input device)wireless Logitech Combo and printer.

The speaker is also enabled.

The system automatically switches between TV and USB speaker(if TV is on it always becomes the sound device but you can select USB speaker if someone is watching TV)

If TV is off USB speaker is selected on start, turn on TV and it becomes available in the sound menu.

I tried all kinds of settings for a few days but is now set up like this for three full days and not a single miss.

As an added bonus I used to loose Icons on the TV Taskbar but that problem is also gone.

Computer Monitor on Thunderbolt to HDMI cable (USBC to HDMI Samsung Galaxy 8 Cable)

TV on 15Meter HDMI High speed cheap(15 Dollar) Flat cable.

HDMI TV is Extended Display.

I hope this will work for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Leonardo,

Here is the scan from the NUC connected directly to Samsung TV via HDMI cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Leonardo,

Attached is the scan from the NUC connected via HDMI cable to brand new Onkyo TX-NR575 AV receiver

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Leonardo - I have installed 6136 driver on both NUCs and will check tonight if that helps.

BigBear - I couldn't install 6136 driver over latest driver (same issue you had). I had to rollback driver in order to get 6136 to install.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Make no difference I still have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Leonardo,

So far, it seems like the new driver is better. Both computers were idle for many hours and audio device didn't go away. But, I'll continue to test more this week. Note, I also turned off "hybrid sleep" on both NUCs. But since I also had disabled sleep, I don't believe hybrid sleep would ever kick in anyway. But wanted to mention.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi easperhe,

Can you make the driver specific to the NUC without special installation method?

I noticed a bug in the 64 BIOS vs 63.

Quite often when I shutdown the NUC, the led of my keyboard & mouse are off but the NUC is still on. Pressing the keyboard/mouse nothing happens.

I had downgraded to BIOS 63 and no longer has this problem. Thx.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

bigbear,

Not exactly sure what you mean about the making the driver specific to the NUC. But, if you keep rolling back the driver until you get some generic microsoft display driver. At that point, you should be able to install the 6136 driver that Intel provided.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

I mean driver that you can click and install instead of doing it manually (I tried to install it manually but even that I was not successfully).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/129702/Intel-NUC-Mini-PC-with-7th-Generation-Intel-Core-Pro... Downloads for Intel® NUC Mini PC with 7th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

The latest one on the NUC-specific is 6025 from the above link (3rd one down).

Thx.

0 Kudos