Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMusa3
Beginner

audio popping from headphone jack

I was hearing a crackling / popping sound in the speakers or headphones plugged into the on-board audio jack. The pop seemed to occur at the start of audio, for example adjusting the volume control in windows, and then about six seconds after the audio stops, another pop is heard.

Prior to noticing the popping sound, I was using a pair of Bose Bluetooth headphones.

I turned off the "Limited Audio" option then turned it back on and the pop went away, but it came back as soon as I opened the system settings panel called "Bluetooth & other devices." This has me wondering if the two are connected somehow.

Settings -> System -> Sound -> With the "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio (SST)" Selected, click on Device Properties.

On "Speakers Properties" box, there are several tabs. Click the Custom tab and turn off "Limited Output." With this turned off, I noticed a reduction in the pops but it was when I turned it back on that the pops stopped. But, like I said as soon as I opened the bluetooth settings panel I heard the pops come back again. I'm going to reboot a few times to see if this behavior is consistent across reboots.

System details:

NUC7i3BNH

Intel Core i3-7100U CPU @2.4GHz

UEFI Boot with Legacy Boot disabled. Secure Boot is not enabled.

64bit Windows 10 Pro ver. 1803. All Windows Updates are up-to-date.

Latest updates were KB4340917, KB4340917

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant installed and all drivers are up-to-date.

Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) shows driver version 6.0.1.8192 installed.

8GB RAM

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB NVME.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello fixed.computer,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that you hear a popping sound when speakers/headphones are connected to the Headphone/Microphone audio jack. I would like to provide more information about this issue.

It has been said that this popping sound is caused by power management issues, excessive DPC latency, or even driver malfunctioning. If this problem persists, it would be great if you could attach a short video of it.

I am also interested in knowing whether this issue also occurs when connecting wireless devices to your Intel® NUC.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello fixed.computer,

I will be glad to assist If you still hear a popping sound when speakers/headphones are connected to the Headphone/Microphone audio jack.

Wanner G.