Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AWidj
Beginner

can your intel nuc work like htpc with windows10?

I bought one intel nuc a few years back preinstalled with windows 10 home, i gave it to my grandfather now.

what I liked about it,

+ It is small and fit anywhere.

what I don't like about it,

- wireless keyboard didn't work, I tried wrapping the whole nuc front with aluminum foil and it did work, so ok the problem is some kind of inteference

- intel graphic is a mess, i have total media theater 6, powerdvd 16 or 17, jriver 22 or 23, the thing is I can't get them displaying movie at normal speed

- audio bitstream didn't work, I saw the whole thread about cvare helping everyone to get this working, unfortunately my nuc is older model and not hdmi 2.0

bottom line, nuc users, can your intel nuc work like htpc with windows 10?

why do I asked this question? I would like to buy newer model and use it with hdmi & bitstreaming, i don't want it to have problem like before.

Note: I did tried to register intel communities few year back but failed to register, any username I typed didn't work, I wrote to Intel about it and felt like replying to some automatic answering machine. so I gave up.

thanks in advanced

Andrew.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

mHoug
Beginner

i bought a Nuc7I7 and one the biggest regrets of last year

if you want the basics then windows is fine with a nuc7 but HDR is just a mess and no software seems to be able to get it right yet with windows, i bought a £99 AMlogic box and to my surprise it does the basic of play 4k HDR movies with HD audio, all my blu-ray and all my TV shows, doesn't have the grunt to run my preferred skin in kodi but end of day it does the job of playing media

the nuc also has issue with certain high quality music files and doesn't outout at 192bits downscales to 148 or something, like said big mistake and wish i could get a refund

idata
Community Manager

Hello orby,

In regards to the HDR, Please verify the following thread for additional details:

/thread/119483 https://communities.intel.com/thread/119483

Regards,

Ricardo
mHoug
Beginner

the main issue is windows and all applications cannot do HDR 4k movie playback correctly powerdvd you get HDR, HD audio but for some unknown reason they don't change the refresh rate to 24p they leave it at 60 so i get massive headaches from the micro stutters that produces

Kodi is slowly moving along but still lacks HDR passthrough and i think only the dev will know which way it will be supported and implemented, MADVR i cannot get HDR to work even though is detects i have Intel HDR

if you worked so hard with cyberlink (which in it self is a pretty poor company for support) to get 4k playback working why not dedicate some people to assist Kodi developers, how about getting some better Linux support and getting HDR working there with NUC7's and above

needless to say i am not using the box anymore as a £100 solution so far does everything 24p 4k HDR playback with passthrough audio, it's amazing a small company out does a major player like intel, i'd say get it right or just abandon and stick to making chips as i will never recommend Intel to anyone after this

idata
Community Manager

Hello orbey,

In regards to the HDR Support on Intel® NUC Kits and Mini PCs, Please check the following thread for additional details:

/thread/118457 https://communities.intel.com/thread/118457

Regards,

Ricardo,
idata
Community Manager

Hello AndrewWidjaja,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Ricardo.