Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11977 Discussions

exact BIOS Recovery File for NUC8i7HVK2 / Manufactured 06/2020 and up ???

DRüf0
Novice

Hello

I have a NUC8i7HVK2 ( ***S/N removed***) and don´t get any Monitor output ( not HDMI nor MiniDisplay nor on another Monitor etc.) after I made a BiosRecovery with Version HN0067 ( same Version was on the NUC before  ! )

I read in the Manual, that NUC´s - manufactured after 2019 have another Bios-Reovery File and Recovery-Routine.

Do I need a File for Aptio-V Bios ?? (  r0067.rec_zip ?? ) and if yes - where can I get it?

thankyou

Dietmar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Dietmar,

Your NUC uses Visual BIOS type (rather than Aptio-V). Before starting the recovery, please disconnect the Power Cord and the CMOS Battery connector (Item "F" on page 45 in the Technical Product Specification) and reconnect it after 15 minutes. Check now if the video output is back.

If not, try the BIOS Recovery Procedure with the Security Jumper Removed:

Try to update BIOS, using BIOS Recovery from the Power button Menu method. Follow those steps:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file hn0067.bio . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.

2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the upper cover and the LED panel from your NUC. Disconnect the LED panel connector before panel removing.
  1. Remove the yellow security jumper (see Product Technical Spec, para. 2.2.3.4, page 46 )  https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i7HVK_TechProdSpec.p...
  2. Insert the USB with the hn0067.bio file.
  3. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  4. When bios recovery is completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the LED panel and the upper cover.
  5. Power your NUC ON.
  6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  8. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Leon

DRüf0
Novice

Hello

Thank´s for your quick response.

I made all this exactly ! as you described , but didn´t get any Monitor signal ( nor HDMI or Mini-Display ! )

( I made both of the recovery Methods POWER-MENU and JUMPER-Version , but nothing helps...) no Signal to Monitor !

What´s next ??  

Dietmar

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Dietmar,

1. You don't see any video on the monitor? How did you performed the BIOS recovery? How can you be sure that the recovery was successful if you don't see any video signal?

2. Can you connect your NUC to other monitor (may be TV set)?

3. Do you see any LED activities? If yes, can you describe.

Leon

DRüf0
Novice

How can you be sure that the recovery was successful if you don't see any video signal?...

That´s a good question..., because " I´m working in the dark"...

But ...( I have tried another Monitor with only VGA , and it also dosn´t work ! no Video-Signal ) 

it seems,that he is loading and installing the Bios-File from the stick, but in the end he stands on the two green Led´s

or otherwise running in a Loop ... shuts down and up ,loading bios-file , I think ...installing ( but I´m not shure without Video-output ) and so on.

Dietmar

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. During the BIOS update, the Power Button LED should blink. Does it? You may also try to reset BIOS settings to default (blind procedure): 

• Power ON your NUC, wait ~9 seconds and repeatedly click few times on F2.
  • Wait few sends more and click on F9. Wait 2-3 seconds and click on "Y"
  • Click on F10, confirmed with "Y"

2. Looks that your NUC is bricked. You may open a ticket for RMA (your NUC is covered by three years of international warranty), after verifying Warranty Coverage.  If you can, please address your request for Warranty Service to  the place you bought this NUC.

Leon

DRüf0
Novice

During the BIOS update, the Power Button LED should blink....

It doesn´t !! 

I will try to reset BIOS settings to default (blind procedure): 

• Power ON your NUC, wait ~9 seconds and repeatedly click few times on F2.
  • Wait few sends more and click on F9. Wait 2-3 seconds and click on "Y"
  • Click on F10, confirmed with "Y" as the last action... 
  • otherwise I may open a ticket for RMA ! ( and call you back for how to..)
  •  
  • I call you back tomorrow ok?

Dietmar

DRüf0
Novice

Hello

I have tried all this above  , but I think ...as you call it - this Nuc is bricked and I will open  a ticket for RMA !

Dietmar 

remark :   How do I make this ??

LeonWaksman
Super User

The preferred method is  to contact Intel Customer Support directly using your phone. Use the links below to find the closest phone number for your country:

You may also open a request for RMA online on this page after confirming the Warrant Coverage. Start with choosing a NUC in Product Type and then fill the S/N and SA numbers (both numbers you will find on your NUC bottom cover). After confirming the warranty coverage, you will get an option to open a Service Ticket. You may find this page in German if this is your proffered language.  

Leon