Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AViss1
Beginner

goodmorning, NUC6CAY does not cold boot to a monitor while connected via HDMI cable.

There is no problem booting with a VGA cable with the same monitor. When I reset the NUC a few times it boots OK with HDMI...

Windows 10 Pro is up to date, aswel as the Bios en system NUC drivers. (intel drive update tool)

Should I update to the 1.72 HDMI firmware?, since I have not tried that.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AViss1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

If possible, yes, update the HDMI firmware to the latest one available in our download center: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26609/HDMI-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7...

Please include an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

AViss1
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. Ran the tool, I attached the result.

In the meantime updated the HDMI firmware to 1.72. No change in behaviour.

Question; Since the HDMI port is HDMI 2.0. Am I obligated to use a HDMI 2.0 cable?

Also; is there a monitor compatibility sheet available?

thnx

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AViss1,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, it should not be necessary to have display. It should work properly; however, I would like to recommend testing another cable to see if the issue is present. 

We have some monitors that have been tested and validated, here is a link: 

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Ki...

Keep in mind that, even though it may not be in the list, the monitor should work. This list is only referring to the monitors verified by Intel, if possible, I would like you to try a different monitor when booting up to see if this issue is present.

David V

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello AViss1,

Were you able to check my previous post?

Please let me know if you require additional assistance.

David V

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The pertinent question regarding the HDMI cable necessary is: What kind of monitor are you connecting? If this is a basic 1080p monitor, then a standard HDMI cable should work. There's a 'but', however; all cable are not made the same. There's a lot of crap out there. Rule: If the cable came with a monitor, it is likely crap; throw it away. Your best bet is to use a cable that is properly certified to support HDMI 2.0a (i.e. the QHD or 4K UHD resolutions).

...S

AViss1
Beginner

Hello David and Scott,

Thanx for the replies, sorry for the delay.

I tried to respond using my iphone but everytime I received an error when submitting.

Anyway, the NUC now only works while using the VGA port. The HDMI port ceased to function entirely AFTER the HDMI firmware update...go figure.

I'm using a standard el cheapo HP 1080p monitor, nothing fancy.

Should I still purchase hdmi2.0a cable?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, sounds like you have a H/W (or F/W) failure and you should be contacting Intel Customer Support regarding a replacement.

After verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S