Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

hades canyon wont detect pcie card in m2 slot

https://ganon.club/index.php/2019/04/04/getting-10gbps-on-a-skull-canyon-nuc-without-thunderbolt-3-n...

following the above plan, i cant get the nuc to detect the card. the card works in another machine, im using a 12v 2a power supply, and the LED indicators for both the 12v and 3v rails on the riser illuminate.

both slots detect nvme storage devices.

is there some difference between skull canyon and hades canyon im missing? bios setting maybe?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted

Hello balld

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

I would like to look into the set up that you want have, please provide me with the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:

1-    Run the utility.

2-    Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-    Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-    Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-    To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

i dont have windows installed on this - is the linux version acceptable for diagnosis?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

scan as requested

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello balld

Thank you for the report, allow me to look into the set up you are referring to, I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi balld,

I understand your point but please refer to the Product Technical Specification section 2.2.35, the add-in card connector is intended for M.2 SSDs, either SATA III Drives or Gen 3 PCIe AHCI NVMe Drives.

When I mentioned that product modification voids the warranty, I am assuming that based on the URL that you provided: https://ganon.club/index.php/2019/04/04/getting-10gbps-on-a-skull-canyon-nuc-without-thunderbolt-3-n... you would have to even modify the system case to begin with this integration and this is considered product "Alteration" which is not covered by the warranty we offer. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/3yr_Lmtd_Wrnty_NUC_International....

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

ronny,

note that you initially said "designed for storage devices only - Supports M.2 SSD Sata III Drives" - thats distinctly different from the actual functionality supported by these slots.

there are other pcie products, like this working in these devices. my previous post has a link to it working in another hades canyon device. this is not entirely surprising as these slots are pcie x4 slots - which is why im asking if theres some bios option i need to enable to get this going.

at no time did i mention altering the case - in fact the case has not been altered in any way - nor does the linked guide state that alteration is required - only that it might be required if one wants to use the metal top plate.

based on the above, im not confident in the information you are providing, and request someone else with more experience, product knowledge, and attention to detail address my question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi balld,

Just for clarification purposes (I may be completely wrong so please clarify) I based my previous answer on the URL that you provided: https://ganon.club/index.php/2019/04/04/getting-10gbps-on-a-skull-canyon-nuc-without-thunderbolt-3-n...

My understanding if that you have plans to:

1- Purchase a Mellanox ConnectX-3 10Gbe SFP card

2- Purchase a M.2 NGFF to PCI-E x4 Adapter

3- Use a PCI-E x4 extension ribbon cable

4- Add and additional wall power adapter (12v) to molex adapter

5- 3Dprint a chassis expansion for Hades Canyon to accommodate the additional hardware

6- Run ESXI* Operating System

The picture below is taken from the URL that you provided me with and describes the hardware integration that I understand you want to accomplish but in this case on a Hades Canyon (The system on the picture and URL is a Skull Canyon)

Skull.png

Based on your original post and I am quoting you:

"following the above plan, i cant get the nuc to detect the card. the card works in another machine, im using a 12v 2a power supply, and the LED indicators for both the 12v and 3v rails on the riser illuminate.

both slots detect nvme storage devices.

is there some difference between skull canyon and hades canyon im missing? bios setting maybe?"

My answer is: this integration that you want to accomplish is not supported and has not been validated by Intel, you can try it but we are not able to provide support for this integration, this includes product alteration that we dont recommend and hardware that we have not tested. If both slots detect NVMe drivers this indicates that the NUC is working as expected.

Skull Canyon hardware is very different than Hades Canyon and I am not aware of any BIOS setting that allows you to get your card to be detected, there are very few options under Devices>PCI or under Devices>Add-in Config within the BIOS set up.

Finally, If you feel that I am not providing you with the appropriate level of support, please reach out to our Technical Support Service via phone and make reference to case number 4673761.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

>My answer is: this integration that you want to accomplish is not supported and has not been validated by Intel, you can try it but we are not able to provide support for this integration, this includes product alteration that we dont recommend and hardware that we have not tested. If both slots detect NVMe drivers this indicates that the NUC is working as expected.

Skull Canyon hardware is very different than Hades Canyon and I am not aware of any BIOS setting that allows you to get your card to be detected, there are very few options under Devices>PCI or under Devices>Add-in Config within the BIOS set up.

i understand its not 'tested' - we cant possibly expect a computer manufacturer to test every possible combination of devices. to reiterate - i have not 'altered' the product.

this answer does not address how other pcie devices, for example the avermedia card, are working in the same slots im trying to use here. have those been tested and 'recommended' by intel? they are not nvme

> Finally, If you feel that I am not providing you with the appropriate level of support, please reach out to our Technical Support Service via phone and make reference to case number 4673761.

i think i will.

0 Kudos