GBros1
Beginner

how can I record stereo audio?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

That's a loaded question! You will need to do two things:

1. Presuming that you have connected a sound source to the NUC via the NUC's front panel (or back panel, depending upon NUC model) audio connector, you first need to select this source as your default input and then verify that you can hear this input. Click on the Windows Start button and select Settings (it typically has an icon on the left of the Start Menu). Now click on System and then Sound. While you can select your input source right there, I recommend clicking on the Sound Control Panel link in the Related Settings section. In the dialog presented, click on the Recording tab. This will show you a list of the possible input sources. Click on the entry for the Realtek Audio Stereo Mix device and then click on Properties. Select the Listen tab, check the Listen to this device box and then click on Apply. If you hear your stereo input, then you are good to go. Click on Cancel and close the Properties dialog. [Aside: If you do not hear your stereo input, then you need to sort out why (hint: most common issue is the input connector format). We can help you here if this occurs.] Back in the Sound / Recording display, the entry for the Realtek Audio Stereo Mix device should still be highlighted. You can now click on the Set Default button to make this your default input and then on OK to close the dialog. You can then close the Settings app if it is still open.
  2. Now you need to run a program that you can use to perform the audio capture. Windows 10 comes with one called Voice Recorder, but it is really for recording from a microphone. You can look for something better either in the Microsoft App Store or on the internet. One I can recommend is a freeware (open source) application called Audacity. If you would like to try it, you can download it from here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download.

That's a quick rundown. Intel has a help page regarding troubleshooting of audio issues here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032598/mini-pcs.html. If you have additional questions (and I am sure you do), feel free to ask. Remember, there are no dumb questions.

Hope this gets you started,

...S

GBros1
Beginner

the issue is not the software but the needed hardware. It looks like the audio jac supports stereo out but only mono in. Is there a cable recommended for recording ?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Ah, that's right; I always forget about this issue because I regularly use a separate USB audio capture device. Here's an example of such a device: https://www.amazon.com/DIGITNOW-Capture-Grabber-Cassette-Converter/dp/B079CBGDST. Note that I use this particular device as an example only (do not misconstrue as an endorsement); the device I have actually came with a Roxio Software package that I purchased a few year ago. I take the line out signal from my received and feed it into this device. I then capture the audio in its digital form.

...S

jcr00
Beginner

what’ the source of your audio i use a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and i’m able to record instruments and microphones if needed, you can also plug anything with the xlr input and that’d be any source, but if you wanna record something average like another pc you could use the audio jack from the nuc and you should see it as an audio source if settled as microphone or line in