Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11316 Discussions

how the company Intel officially define the size of a Gigabyte (GB) of their SSDs

Rshoo2
Beginner

Dears

I can not find any information about the question

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

GB = Gigabyte (1,073,741,824 bytes) is conversion of GB to Byte on binary base (i.e.1024 to the power of 3). However, Im not sure if you may calculate this way a size of usable space on Intel SSD. For example I've have 1 TB Intel 760 series SSD installed in my computer. In Intel Specification Data the capacity is defined as 1.024TB. This is the total physical capacity of this drive. The total usable capacity of this drive is only 952.62GB, since part of the capacity is used for NAND flash management and for the maintenance purposes.

Leon

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

GB = Gigabyte (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Doc

Rshoo2
Beginner
LeonWaksman
Super User

GB = Gigabyte (1,073,741,824 bytes) is conversion of GB to Byte on binary base (i.e.1024 to the power of 3). However, Im not sure if you may calculate this way a size of usable space on Intel SSD. For example I've have 1 TB Intel 760 series SSD installed in my computer. In Intel Specification Data the capacity is defined as 1.024TB. This is the total physical capacity of this drive. The total usable capacity of this drive is only 952.62GB, since part of the capacity is used for NAND flash management and for the maintenance purposes.

Leon

View solution in original post