Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RL2
Beginner

how to use equalizer on my NUC6i5SYH ?

The sound from my NUC on the speakers of my Philips 328P screen is not very good. I have too many low and too less high tones. How can i change this.

My thoughts are windows - based on the installed intel drivers - decides no tones can be changed and no equalizaer is visible.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Correct; it is sending digital audio data to the monitor. It is up to the monitor to output it properly - or to support equalization after conversion to an analog stream.

...S

RL2
Beginner

The signal from Displayport can not be changed on my monitor too. Is it because the signal is digital it can't be changed on my NUC?

When I would buy speakers to connect to the 3,5mm socket on my NUC, how can i edit this analog signal to use custom high and low tones?

n_scott_pearson

Correct; DisplayPort (DP) and HDMI audio output are digital. Your processor actually supports up to three DP outputs. One is converted to HDMI using a LSPcon chip and made available via the HDMI connector and one is made directly available via the mini-DP connector. You can, BTW, connect two monitors to this mini-DP connector using a MST Hub and thus support three monitors.

The 3.5 mm connector on the front of the NUC is connected to a RealTek CODEC that delivers an analog audio output stream. It is possible, using the RealTek console, to equalize the output being delivered.

Hope this helps,

...S

RL2
Beginner

Thank You!

Where can I find the Realtek console?

I'm not sure a 3,5mm connector in the front of my NUC and the wire is nice on my desk. When I buy a bluetooth device to play my music, can i adjust low and high tones on my NUC?

n_scott_pearson

You should see a RealTek icon in the System Tray. Clicking on it brings up their console. Note that you need to use the Mixer to choose the RealTek to be the default output beforehand.

I too *hate* the fact that the connector is on the front of the unit. I always want one on the back (they can keep the one on the front if they want) and I would prefer it to have Optical output capability always. I want this even in the business-class NUCs!

Ok, rant aside, what are you doing with the NUC on your desk? It belongs on the back of a monitor.

Bluetooth is also digital transmission, so equalization has to happen on the other end - you know, using that equalizer built into your speakers (sigh!)

...S

RL2
Beginner

My NUC on the back of the monitor has advantages but too many disadvantages. I do not want to walk to the back of my desk to turn the NUC on. And how on earth can i reach the cardreader at the back of my 32 inch monitor? I have chosen for practical use :-)

Thank you, i found the console. My systemtray hides several icons. Therefor i didnt see it.

Unfortunately i have not found active PC-speakers with a equalizer built in it.

n_scott_pearson

Of course you didn't find any; that was a sarcastic remark. Unfortunately, this issue is going to come up more and more often.

I purchased a set of BT-based headphones and they sounded pretty flat. If I attach its cord instead, I can use the RealTek console to apply some enhancements. Looking back, however, I found that, if I go to the Sound Control Panel (right-click on the Volume icon, select Open Sound Settings and then click on the Sound Control Panel shortcut), you can make some adjustments in the sound quality. By right-clicking on the Headphones entry, selecting properties and then the Enhancements tab, I can adjust the sound using the Bass Boost, Headphone Virtualization and Loudness Equalization enhancements. It isn't like having a full equalizer, but it can make a difference.

I checked the properties for my Samsung monitor (it's actually a 40" 6000 Series TV) and found that the Enhancements tab has Low-Frequency Protection, Room Correction and Loudness Equalization enhancements. You should try playing with whatever is offered for your monitor and see what improvements you can make. Again, it isn't like having a full equalizer, but it can make a difference...

Hope this helps,

...S