Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12532 Discussions

iGPU strange thermal values

Kruis
New Contributor I

Hi,

I noticed a strange behavior of the iGPU temperature of my NUC11PAHi7.

Please see the first screenshot (SS 1). It was taken immediately after Win 10 starting.

As you see, the iGPU temperature is really very high even if she is not working.

The SS2 was caught while watching a video in HD.

But looking at the temperatures on HWInfo in the same moment (SS 3), it can be noted that they do not coincide in the slightest.

Finally SS 4 shows the temperatures during play a  game.

But is this normal?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Kruis, I just received an update on this matter.

For this case, it is important to mention that the iGPU temperature is part of the overall temperature package of the processor. The T-junction of the Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor is 100°C, any temperature results below or equal to that value are considered normal and expected for this unit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208662/intel-core-i71165g7-processor-12m-cache-...

In order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=in...

Additionally, in the following link, as general information, you will find the overheating symptoms and possible troubleshooting steps to try while using an Intel® processor:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors....

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Jay_W
Novice

+1

Also noticed iGPU temp seems always on the high end, even when the system is almost doing nothing. The temperature difference between CPU and iGPU can be 20+ degrees C. 

Screenshot (1).jpg

Kruis
New Contributor I

This comforts me a lot because maybe it is the Intel Studio software that reads the sensors badly, also because, as I pointed out, the reading of the Intel Studio SW is at least 15°C higher than that of the HWInfo diagnostic software.

I take this opportunity to add another attachment, taken after 2 hours of game play (an online game, not very heavy and with resolution to 1920 x 1080 (1080p).

Screenshot (40).png

As you can see, the average temperatures of CPU cores (66, 62, 64, 65) and iGPU (66°C)  are quite normal, regardless of the strange values indicated by Intel Studio.

There are Intel technician too in this community?

Alberto_R_Intel

Kruis, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it? (For Warranty Purposes)

What is the version of Intel® Studio Software that you are using?

Was the Intel® NUC working fine before without showing those temperature values for the iGPU?

If so, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Kruis
New Contributor I

Hi @Alberto_R_Intel ,

thank you for your reply.

My NUC is 16 months old.

I bought it in February 2021.

Studio Software is ver. 1.29.19151.0

I can't tell if the temperatures of the iGPU were lower previously, I'm not sure I noticed. More than anything else I monitored the temperatures of the cores.

But 1 or 2 months ago I noticed very high temperatures and frequent thermal throttling of the cores, solved by removing dust accumulations between fan and cooler.

I haven't made any hardware/software changes, apart from Intel updates and Windows 10 updates.The hardware has always been the same.

I use this NUC at home, both for work (web development and graphics), and for home use and gaming (my son). But as you can see from the screenshots, the problem also occurs as soon as you start windows, even if after about ten minutes the temperature tend to go down, still remaining about 15 ° C higher than that of the CPU.

Available for more information.

Best regards,

Cris

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi Kruis, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based on the SSU report, we can confirm that the latest BIOS version, which is 0042, is properly installed on your Intel® NUC and the rest of the components are properly detected as well. So, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello Kruis, I just received an update on this matter.

For this case, it is important to mention that the iGPU temperature is part of the overall temperature package of the processor. The T-junction of the Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor is 100°C, any temperature results below or equal to that value are considered normal and expected for this unit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208662/intel-core-i71165g7-processor-12m-cache-...

In order to rule out a possible hardware problem with the processor, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=in...

Additionally, in the following link, as general information, you will find the overheating symptoms and possible troubleshooting steps to try while using an Intel® processor:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors....

Regards,

Albert R.

Kruis
New Contributor I

Hi @Alberto_R_Intel ,

thank you for your reply.

I ran the diagnotica software and it was successful, so I would say that everything is fine.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Cris

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi Kruis, You are very welcome, that you very much for sharing those results.

"I ran the diagnotica software and it was successful, so I would say that everything is fine", yes, that is correct, the processor passed the test, which means it is working as expected, with no hardware problems.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Kruis
New Contributor I

Hi all,

I reply to this closed thread to report a solution to anyone who has high temperature problems, like me.

My previous situation:

- NUC 11PAHi7 with Win 10 pro;

- CPU temperatures 68-100°C even without processor or GPU load, even when windows starts;

- Fan speed 3600-4800 rpm almost always;

- Frequent thermal throttling on each CPU parts.

If you have similar issues, you can check in your task manager if you have high CPU usage by the Windows SysMain process and if yes,  try this solution:

1) Find and launch services.msc using the Windows search bar;

2) Find SysMain process, right-click over it, click on properties and then disable it at startup.

This is a process not essential that should improve through caching the speed of execution of apps based on the use you make of them.

Already in the past it had a bug that brought CPU usage to 20+% and disk usage to 100%, I think that after last Windows updates, it is bugged again or or conflicts with current Intel drivers.

After disable it, now I have:

- CPU temperatures 54-68°C (with some peaks 70-86° under high CPU load);

- Fan speed 2100-3200 rpm, with peaks of 4600 rpm only for a few seconds during high CPU loads;

- No more thermal thgrottling!;

- More peace and silence

Enjoy it!

(I do not take responsibility for the use of this solution, it is at your own risk)

Kruis,

your (future) Intel Technical Manager... only in my dreams  : - P