Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12512 Discussions

intel-bnuc11tnki50000 won't boot - 3 white flashes on power button

GerardK
Beginner

I'm having an issue getting the NUC to boot for the first time after purchase. Can you first confirm that these components are compatible:

1. https://www.mwave.com.au/product/intel-bnuc11tnki50000-nuc-pro-barebone-kit-i5-11th-gen-ac49848
2. https://www.mwave.com.au/product/samsung-980-1tb-pcie-30-nvme-m2-ssd-mzv8v1t0bw-ac42978
3. https://www.mwave.com.au/product/corsair-vengeance-16gb-1-x-16gb-3200mhz-sodimm-ddr4-laptop-memory-a...

To setup the device, I followed the instructions on the integration guide:

1. Loosened the NVME screw and inserted the Samsung SSD, then tightened the screw
2. Inserted the Corsair memory to the bottom facing slot
3. Put bootable Win 10 installation USB into the front USB slot
4. Connected a USB receiver for my Logitech keyb/mouse combo
5. Connected HDMI to HDMI 1 (a Samsung S32E590C monitor)
6. Connected power and powered on unit

The system does not show any display, and the on/off button flashes white, slowly 3 times, until I disconnect power.

I've tried the following:

1. Move the memory to the upper slot
2. Remove and reseat the SSD
3. Move the USB windows media to both of the USB slots on the rear
4. Removed the USB receiver for the keyb/mouse

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @GerardK 

This is a list of Compatible Parts (including memory) for your NUC. This list includes only those part validated by Intel and it doesn't mean that other parts not include in this list are not compatible. 

This is Kingston List (Kingston Fury RAM and ValueRAM), validated on your NUC

Finally, this is List from Crucial.

Buying RAM list on one of the three list should assure you the compatibility

Hope this helps

Leon

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee
Three flashes means issue with memory. Try with single SODIMM in first one socket and then the other. Repeat with other SODIMM.
If you find it works with one SODIMM but not the other, then you know you have a bad SODIMM.
If you find that both SODIMMs work in one socket but not the other, then you know you have a bad NUC unit. In this case, if you can return for replacement through place of purchase, then do so. Otherwise, contact Intel Customer Support directly to set up a RMA replacement.
Hope this helps,
...S
GerardK
Beginner

Thanks Scott, great response and quick.

I have a single SODIMM, so can I assume from your response that these are okay to work as a single module, and not need to be installed as pairs? I have tried both slots, and reseated it several times to no avail.

So I guess this is an indicator of a faulty SODIMM.

Do the specs look right for that Corsair memory? Interesting that on the Corsair site I could not find the 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 memory

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?q=%3Afeatured%3Amemor...

Is it perhaps too fast for this slot, or need to be in a pair? I also could not find the voltage stamped anywhere on the Corsair module. It just has the speed, but doesn't say 1.2v. Is this module perhaps designed for laptops not a NUC? How could I tell? Or are they the same, regardless

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @GerardK 

This is a list of Compatible Parts (including memory) for your NUC. This list includes only those part validated by Intel and it doesn't mean that other parts not include in this list are not compatible. 

This is Kingston List (Kingston Fury RAM and ValueRAM), validated on your NUC

Finally, this is List from Crucial.

Buying RAM list on one of the three list should assure you the compatibility

Hope this helps

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

One more think. Although NUC can work with one SO DIMM only, the performance will be better using two similar SO DIMM (i.e. kit of 2x8GB will give better performance than 1 x 16GB). With two So DIMM, the NUC will work in dual channel memory mode.

Leon

GerardK
Beginner

Thanks for the help. I purchased the Crucial chip to ensure compatibility and this worked fine. Hopefully my retailer will refund the Corsair chip. Kind of weird that memory chips can be identical technical specifications, and one works and one doesn't. I'll be more careful in future when purchasing components for the NUCs. Seems they are more tempermental than a traditional PC.