Intel® NUCs
Assistance in Intel® NUC products
13302 Discussions

m.2 issues with NUC5i3RY

JPA1
Beginner

Greetings,

I've been using a NUC5i3RYH for about 6 years without issues, exluding a power button brakedown. I have used a 2,5" ssd for storage and OS. Now I added a m.2, which is the A-data 256gb XPG SX6000 Pro m.2, and I'm having issues. I can see the ssd in the bios and control panel and also using the a-datas' own SSD ToolBox on windows (hardware monitoring software for ssd's). It's there but I'm lacking a drive or partitioning. On my computer I can only see the c-drive.

I'm using windows 10. I updated the bios from RYBDWi35.86A.0354.2016.0120.0912 to RYBDWi35.86A.0386.2022.0705.1602.

On the a-data's SSD Toolbox I can see a message 'connection speed PCIe Gen2x4 (max gen3x4)'

The m.2 drive is PCIe Gen3x4, supports NVMe 1.3, and has 3D NAND Flash.

I wish I could use another PC to transfer the OS from the 2,5" to the m.2 but I can't.

Is there a fix for this or is it a compatibility issue?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. It can be combability issue, since this drive wasn't validated by Intel. This is the list of validated components for your NUC.  

2. However since this drive is detected in BIOS, I hope that it should be detected in Windows as well. Try the following:

• If you don't see the M.2 drive in Disk Management, press Action in menu and then Rescan Disks.
  •      If your see the new drive but it is not initialized, Right-click the drive marked as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized," and select Initialize Disk.
  •      Select GPT (GUID Partition Table) and press OK
  •      Once the drive is initialized, right-click the Unallocated space, and select New Simple Volume
  •      Click Next.
  •      Choose the volume size or leave the default size if you're planning to use the entire drive to store files.
  •      Click Next.
  •      Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu.
  •      Click Next.
  •      Select the NTFS file system.
  •      On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
  •     Type a descriptive name in Volume label field.
  •     Clear the Perform a quick format option.
  •     Click Next.
  •     Click Finish. Once you completed the steps, Windows will set up a new partition and properly format the hard drive.
  •  
  •     If your drive is initialized, you need only to format it.  Right-click the drive you want and click Format.
  •     Type a descriptive name.
  •     Select the NTFS file system.
  •     On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
  •     Clear the Perform a quick format option.
  •     Click OK.
  •     Click OK on the warning message. Once the formatting process completes, you can then begin to store files on the drive.

Leon

0 Kudos
JPA1
Beginner

Thanks a lot Leon! I followed the solution 2 through and it worked. It's compatible.

0 Kudos