cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MVerb
Beginner

no boot device after power fail

Hi,

My Nuc7i5bnk is working correctly but I have one issue.

If I enables "power on" after power fail in the bios settings my NUC doesn't see my "Kingston sa1000m8" drive. When u press the power button and turn the machine off and on the device is working correctly.

When i hit F2 after power fail my drive isn't listed. I tried it with UEFI boot and Legacy boot. But that doesn't make a divergence, no boot device after power failure.

Updatet the bios to the latest version, but still not working.

Wake-up from RTC is working.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Kind Regards,

Matthijs

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello, MattVB. Thank you very much for contacting the Intel Communities Team. I will be more than happy to assist you.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Have you tried using a different drive? In addition, can you try this Kingston* drive in another system?

Antony S.
MVerb
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for the replay.

I attached the scan file. At the moment i don't have any system that supports a m2 drive. So i can't test it on a other machine.

Matthijs

idata
Community Manager

Hello, MattVB. Thank you for your reply.

I have run some test at our labs with the Intel® NUC7i7BNH (which has the same motherboard as the NUC7i5BNK) with the latest BIOS installed (ver 0065) however, the issue was not presented on the unit.

This might be an issue with the handshake between the SSD and the BIOS. I can see that the SSD that you are using is not in the list of compatible product for your NUC (cf. http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC# Intel® Compatibility Tool). We recommend using one of the modules listed in this tool.

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello, MattVB.

I would like to know if you could test your NUC with another SSD?

Antony S.
MVerb
Beginner

Hi

Not yet. I want to try this. But at the moment I don't have another SSD. When i got one i wil test it directly.

Kind regards,

Matthijs

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for your response, MattVB.

Once you have the opportunity to test another SSD please share the results. I will keep monitoring the thread.

Antony S.
CNoye
Beginner

Hello,

I'm also having this issue. The SSD I'm using is MyDigital 256GB M2 NVME SSD (model: MDNVME80-SBX-0256). SSD module works fine in a Dell laptop (and the laptop's Samsung 960 Pro M2 NVME module (1TB) behaves the same in the NUC7I5BNK). This feels like a BIOS bug to me.

idata
Community Manager

Hello cnoyes72,

I would like to continue assisting you with this issue.

In this case, it is recommended to have the latest BIOS and firmware updates to fix compatibility issues and improve functionality. Do you have the latest firmware update for your SSD?

In order to to further research about this issues, please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello cnoyes72,

In order to continue investigating this issue, I would like to know if this issue occurs with the latest BIOS version available.

Please attach the report to gather basic system information. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
CNoye
Beginner

Latest BIOS update made no difference. After some googling it looks like the issue probably lies with the firmware on the SSD module (and not just from MyDigitalSSD; it appears any SSD M.2 module that uses Phison E8 SSD controller needs to have the latest firmware installed to work properly with the new Intel NUCs.

idata
Community Manager

Hello cnoyes72,

As you were saying, other users have reported that this issue was fixed in other SSDs using the same Phison E8 controller as the MyDigitalSSD SBX. A firmware update fixed other similar issues, too.

Our recommendation is to do some research about firmware updates as peripheral manufacturers can change the operation of their products with Intel® NUC products.

Wanner G.
MVerb
Beginner

*Update*

Hi all,

I just updated the bios to the latest version. This didn't solve the power on issue.

Also there was a firmware update for my drive (Kingston sa1000m8) available. After this update my NUC is working fine again. Now it is starting up after power fail.

Kind regards and thanks for helping me with this issue.

Matthijs