Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12513 Discussions

nuc10i5flk killer 2.5G USB ethernet limited to 1.5g

nico75
Beginner

hello,

on my nuc10i5fln, I added an USB 2.5 ethernet adapter

I try several usb 3.1 2.5G adapter with latest drivers. all of them with realtek chipset

all of them have a speed limit of  around 1G/ 1.5G

I disabled the internal ethernet device to be sure

I checked on internet and several people report problems with realtek shipset

so, i try the  killer 2.5 ethernet ubc-c 3.1 adapter who is not base on realtek.

I try it, installed also from intel site latest drivers and the adapter is also limited to about 1.5G

when I try those usb adapter on an asus maximus z690 computer, no problem, the speed is 2.5g

does some one has an idea ? thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hello @nico75 

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you,  we were finally able to replicate this issue and after updating the TBT firmware on the NUC10i5FNK Canyon: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19794/html  now we get 2.5Gbps in both directions.

Frost_Canyon_as_a_Client (1).jpg

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Ronny G

View solution in original post

15 Replies
nico75
Beginner

hello,

I searched on this community site an find out that last year, somebody get the same problem but asked for the return of his NUC computer. since then, no explaination has been reported why this occurs

not sure I buy anymore for my friends a nuc

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @nico75

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this behavior further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Did this configuration (Intel NUC + USB Ethernet LAN adapter) work as expected before? Or are you having this behavior since the first day you tried these configurations?

2- Please provide more details about the USB 3.1 2.5Gb Ethernet adapters you tried? For instance: maker, model, a link as a reference, etc.

3- Just to make sure, please confirm the model or provide a link as a reference of the Killer Ethernet USB Adapter you're using? For instance, is it the Killer E3100 USB-C 3.1 Ethernet adapter?

4- How do you determine that the network link is limited to 1-1.5Gb? Provide screenshots showing the network link speed/status:

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

nico75
Beginner

hi Andrew,

thank taking your time to help me

I try several USB3/ethernet 2.5 adapter (all using realtek chipset) and all of them gave the same result : lmited to 1G

this is the reason I get the kille adapter since the chipset was different

I checked several oneline tools to test my fiber internet speed

I attach here screenhot of speedtest (ookla) result on intel nuc and on my asus maximum z690 computer

I attached also the .txt file from intel SSU tools

the adapter  i get from amazon :

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08HNJC3R8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

when I want to download the drivers :

www.killernetworking.com redirect to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/wireless/killer-series.html

I downloaded & installed KillerPerformanceSuite_3.1122.3146_Win10-11x64.exe

hope you can help me.

nico75
Beginner

I included also the speedtest using the onboard 2.5 network card from maximus hero Z690 mainboard

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nico75

Thank you for your response and for all the details and screenshots.

We would like you to review the following points and provide us with more details:

1- Checking the network settings for the Killer Ethernet USB Adapter on the Intel® SSU report, we noticed that the Support Speed is detected as 2.5 Gbps Full Duplex (2500).

Internet Speed tests may vary from one test to another. Could you please provide a screenshot from the Intel® NUC > Killer Ethernet USB Adapter as follows:

1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Click on Network and Internet.
  3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
  4. Click the Change adapter settings in the left pane.
  5. Double-click the Killer network adapter.
  6. Attach the screenshot showing the Ethernet Status/Speed.

2- Which other "Internet Speed testers" have you tried? The servers used (source vs destination) may also vary and show different results. Have you tried different settings? Results may not be conclusive about the actual "link speed" capability/performance of an Ethernet controller.

3- When you run the tests, do you have your VPN service enabled at the same time?

Also, since we noticed you have Hyper-V enabled, do you have virtual machines running at the same time that might be consuming some bandwidth when you do the tests?

4- It is supposed that UTP cables Cat 5e are enough for 2.5Gb network speed. Have you tried with different cables and hopefully with high-speed cables that are "Cat 6 certified" and made sure no other network devices have high network utilization at the time the tests are run?

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nico75

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

nico75
Beginner

hi,

sorry for the delay

1) included screenshot. it is specified 2.5. this is also because I set  explicitly to 2,5G those 2 parameters

eee max support speed 2,6 full duplex
speed & duplex 2,5 gbps full

2) i try several one on internet either from the NIC computer and using killer adapter on the ASUS maximus Z690 computer. the results are similar all the time on nuc : < 1,5G, on the Z690 : > 2.2G

3) no vpn, and when I made the tests, the hyper-V is disabled, and the internal 1G adapter is also disable

4) the cable used is cat 8.1 (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0816N8468/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1)

then I made the tests, the internal adaptrer is disable, no activity

nico75
Beginner

here is the screenshot

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hello @nico75 

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you,  we were finally able to replicate this issue and after updating the TBT firmware on the NUC10i5FNK Canyon: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19794/html  now we get 2.5Gbps in both directions.

Frost_Canyon_as_a_Client (1).jpg

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Ronny G

nico75
Beginner

hello

thanks for the reply and the solution

I installed this TBT firmware and the latest tbt driver

using iperf and when  use my  Asus Z690 maximus computer as server, I get a trafic of around 2.3G

that great

thanks

nicolas

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nico75

Thank you for your response.

We will proceed to review this further and once we have more information available, we will be posting here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DeividA_Intel

Hello nico75, 

Thanks for your response. I would like to confirm if the issue was completely solved or if you have presented the issue recently.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nico75

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

nico75
Beginner

hi,

thanks again for the help. you can close this case

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nico75

You're very welcome and thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that the issue is solved. As per your request and also since the thread has been marked as "Solved" we will proceed to close it now.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.