Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

nuc10i5fnh boot priorites and possible video incompatibilties

Jump to solution

hello folks,

i have what i think is an issue with a video or bios issue with my new (got it today to replace a nuc7i5bnh).  i cannot see the m2 or the sata drive in the ufei priority boot although it is recognized in the storage area. the only choices i have besides my usb dvd drive which is in the priorities  is ufei pxe ipv4 and ufei pxe ipv6.  so i tried to boot up my m2 drive anyway with a win 10 v1909 from old nuc and i get this during booting

checking media presence>>>
media present>>>
>>>start pxe over ipv4 on mac xxxxxxxxxxxxx

when it fails to boot here...
it then tries to start pxe on ipv6

eventually it says a bootable device has not been detected.

so i decided to see if i can make an acronis image using acronis 2017 and 2018 boot disk.  at first it appears to boot up and actually gave me the choices to select acronis 64 bit.  after a while it give an error message saying something like  load protect mode kernel.  press (e) to edit kernel command line.  video mode setup error 0x1480006.  the video frame buffer parameters are invalid.

after this i called tech support.  was told to try and update bios.  i did but same thing as above.  called tech support again and they cannot figure out the issue and said take it back for an exchange.  so i did.

well, the replacement nuc does the exact same thing as above.  so my conclusion is that there must not be anything wrong with either nuc.  this reminds me of when i had those celeron nuc.  it kept saying it was over heating.  tech kept on telling me to send it back.  i kept returning for exchanges only to find out after the issue was a bios problem.  took them more than 6 months to figure that one out. 

so i  read on searches that some people were successful in having the hd's list in priorities by turning off modern standby to legacy s3 standby.  this allows you to select the blanked out legacy boot.  well this didnt work for me either.  even doing this the drives didnt list in priorities. 

so now i drop in a win10 pro v 1909 boot disk and lo and behold its gets into the area when its going to complete install .  and shows both drive 0 and drive 1 which are my m2 and sata drive.  so i wanted to make a back up of the m2 drive before i wiped it out.  i pulled the m2 drive and dropped it into my older bedroom nuc5i3bnk.  and it boots up completely into windows.  i dropped in acronis boot disk and made an image successfully.

so this is where i stand right now.  i have a funny feeling that even if i am able to successfully load windows...it wort recognize the drive during boot up.

my conclusion is...i dont think there is anything wrong with the nuc10i5fnh.  what are the chances that 2 brand new nucs exhibit the same issue being bad?  there has to be some silly way that even them tech support guys at intel are unaware of.  they had me running around ..do this...do that, try this, try that and finally exchange it.  like i said this reminds me so much of the overheat message from a few years ago which was just a bios issue.

anyone have any clues.....please let me know
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

You don't set boot priorities until AFTER you install Windows. I recommend that you remove/disconnect the SATA drive until after you have Windows 10 installed (one less variable and one less thing to go wrong).

Acronis is a crap product; I gave up on it years ago.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

i have a few other things to add.  the nuc10iffnh does not display video on my samsung 8580 tv but does on my sony z9d.  not sure of the significance of that.  whatever it is, there must be something funky going on with the video

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello repoman576,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

We noticed that you have contacted Intel® Customer Support directly regarding the same issue here described, we are currently looking at this internally and we want to avoid duplication of effort, so, can you please confirm if it is regarding the same unit and issue? (you have several cases open so we want to confirm the information to make sure that we found the proper internal ticket) 

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

hello maria

this post is related to the same incident although its not the same nuc.  the original nuc10i5fnh was told to me by intel tech support to exchange it.  i went back to microcenter and exhanged the replacement nuc.  the replaced replacement has the EXACT same issue that i called intel tech support for.  so to make myself more clear...my original issue was with the nuc7i5bnh that had a video problem and supposedly sold to me by microcenter already out of warranty.   intel tells me to go back to microcenter for exchange since they will not exchange a nuc sold out of warranty.  microcenter did this and gave me the nuc10i5fnh because they no longer make the nuc i had.  i also had to pay the difference in pricing.  this is where we pick up with the problems.

this tell me that all the nuc10i5fnh has the same issue and are probably not defective.  so this is where i stand right now...a nuc10i5fnh that i cant get to work.

if this is confusing...i apologize i can try and explain this all again if needed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Are you using the same O/S image that you started with? If so, stop! Reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. Recreate your Windows 10 installation (USB Flash) disk using Microsoft's Media Creation tool (available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). Make sure you boot in UEFI mode. When you get to the dialogue where you are selecting the partition to install Windows 10 to, delete *all* partitions on the SSD and then tell Windows to install to the unallocated space (which should encompass all of the drive if you've deleted all partitions).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

no i dont intend to reuse the windows on the old nuc.  when i tried to go into the bios and set the boot priority, my drives were not listed in the boot priority list but shows up in storage.  i decided to see if i can image the old windows m2 drives using acronis but it give an error during booting of acronis.  i dont think it matters what is on that m2 drive, i should be able to load acronis boot cd.

my final intentions are to load a fresh version of windows.  its funny though when i remove the m2 from the 10i5fnh and into an 7i3bk .all drive show up, and boots completely even though its not from that nuc and actonis completely loads and i was able to image it through another muc.

yes you might be able to explain why it wont boot the old windows as i know some pc system will not boot up other win version from another pc but why doesnt it list and says there is no bootable drive and error codes loading acronis.  im no expert but acronis should boot and load...right? 

when i loaded the windows 10 disk, it actually shows drive 0 and drive 1 which are my m2 and sata drive.  i didnt continue from there because i was never able to set the boot priorities since no drives were listed.  if you think that i would be able to load acronis to image the freshly loaded windows....i would give it a shot.  the error code acronis give is the following:

load protected mode kernel press (e) to edit kernel command line.  video mode setup error 0x1480006.  the video frame buffer parameter are invalid.

what causes this?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You don't set boot priorities until AFTER you install Windows. I recommend that you remove/disconnect the SATA drive until after you have Windows 10 installed (one less variable and one less thing to go wrong).

Acronis is a crap product; I gave up on it years ago.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

ok , ill give it a shot.  i have always set drive priorities before load but sure ill try anything.  this nuc bios is completely different from what im used to seeing.  ive had the old celeron nuc as well as 7 gen ones,

so what do you recommend as a backup sw since you dont like acronis?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am playing with Macrium right now.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

well i have to thank you.  i would have never thought to go ahead and load windows before i set boot priorities.  loaded windows successfully and just as you said, the m2 drive shows up in boot priorities now.  i never done it this way but im ok with learning.  lots of things on this nuc is new to how ive been doing things.  the combination of all things gave me the impression that there was something wrong.  i kind of figured it was something simple as there is no way 2 different brand new nuc have the exact same problem.  

thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You're welcome. Glad it worked out.

...S

0 Kudos