Beginner

nuc7i7bnh PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

I don't know what to do, I have this PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

and can't do anything else with my nuc.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

When you see this, it means that the NUC was not able to find any local resource from which to boot and is looking for a remote (LAN-based) boot server.

If this is a brand new NUC, you want to insert the media from which you will be installing your O/S and do another CTRL-ALT-DEL to initiate the process.

Hope this helps,

...S

PNguy21
Beginner

It is not new, it was working fine yesterday and today it wouldn't boot up. I tried the bios recovery and it still said the same thing.

n_scott_pearson

Ok, you need to check the BIOS Configuration and especially the Boot Order. As well, if a device is not showing up that should be there, it may have failed...

...S

PNguy21
Beginner

If there is no device there every time I go to the bios configuration, what else could I do. Also would overheating be the problem too.

n_scott_pearson

Please describe your system. Use part numbers where you can. What memory do you have installed? What drives do you have installed?

...S

PNguy21
Beginner

Intel Optane memory- SN(PHBT727105GK032E) SA(J45812-102)

Adata-SN(GEBN73800V0) SA(AAJ31145-306)

Segate Barracuda Compute- SN(WDZ3PJ96)

n_scott_pearson

Well, if it was booting and working fine one day and not the next, then something has changed. You are sure you didn't change anything in BIOS Setup in between? Possibilities are:

• BIOS Configuration is reset and Optane memory is disabled.
  • Optane memory has failed.
  • HDD has failed or been disconnected somehow (you verified that the two cables going from the drive bay to the board are still properly plugged into the board?)
  • NUC has failed.

...S

PNguy21
Beginner

No I didn't change anything in the Bios setup, I tried everything to make it boot and recovery but it still wouldn't.

n_scott_pearson

Have you verified that the BIOS is still configured to boot from/through the Optane memory?

Can you boot from a USB flash disk formatted for booting DOS or running/installing Linux or Windows? If you can, then likely something has happened to your boot image (perhaps as a result of the Optane memory.

....S