cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filt3rek
New Contributor I

nuc8i5bek switch off all LEDs

Hi,

I've switched off all the LEDs in the BIOS, deactivated Wake On LAN in the BIOS and in my operating system, set the brightness to 0 on all LEDs options in the BIOS, but when turning the NUC in stand by mode, there is still a little LED that brights inside the NUC that can be seen through the USB ports... Please why ? For whom does this LED bright please inside the NUC ?

Thanks,
Michal

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Michal,

You can't control brightness of this LED. This is a Standby LED ( see item "P" on page 4 in Technical Product Specification). This LED is illuminated showing that power is connected (i.e. power adaptor) to the board. However you can paint it in black or cover it with some piece of non transparent tape.

Leon

filt3rek
New Contributor I

Thanks Leon for your answer.

Yes I'll do something with this LED...

But just to complain, I wonder who want to know if the power is connected ? I mean, you know physically if you have put te cable inside or not, no need to put a LED on it

And If it's in case something is going wrong, It happens rarely (I hope it does rarely !) so in that case, someone take a multimeter and test if power is going to this point... No need to alert everybody on earth that the NUC power is on... Because why don't put a LED after every component, every chip inside the NUC in that case ?...

I would like to meet the genius that had this brigth idea...

That's all, I finished complaining !

Thanks for your answer,
Regards,

LeonWaksman
Super User

This LED is indicating that the board's power input circuit is functioning. You may have cable adapter connected and power circuit failed.  Standby LED is existing on all motherboards I know, so this is normal practice.

Leon

filt3rek
New Contributor I

Leon,

That's why I wrote about, normal usecase is that the circuit is functionning. In a house, there is no light switch on everytime to say you that you have electricity. When you have'nt electricity you start investigation, not the opposite. Why not put a continuous beep to inform you that circuit is functionning ? Or as I wrote, why not put LEDs everywhere on the motherboard, at every node, after avery chip, to inform people that "in this node, you are lucky, the circuit is also functionning" ?

Anyway, I know it's a common thing not only in the NUC, that why this is a global complain about all these genius that want to put LED everywhere to inform everybody that their machines work fine. Maybe they should work on christmas trees ...

I stop complaining here, but as these ingeneers wanted to inform all the earth that they have worked well, I wanted to inform all the earth that I'm bored of non sense

Thanks for all,
Cheers

filt3rek
New Contributor I

My smileys didn't appeared in my previous post that's pitty...

filt3rek
New Contributor I

Neither in this one... I imagine that engineers have decided that the world should run like that ::smile:: (smile)