cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

nuc8i7hvk specs

Hello,

I've read the specs for nuc8i7hvk here https://ark.intel.com/products/126143/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HVK Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK Product Specifications and found that it has max 32 GB RAM, DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0a but the specs for the microprocessor here https://ark.intel.com/products/130409/Intel-Core-i7-8809G-Processor-with-Radeon-RX-Vega-M-GH-graphic... Intel® Core™ i7-8809G Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Product Specifications specify max 64 GB RAM, DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b

Which is it ?

What are the real specs for RAM and graphics output ?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The board's TPS says 32GB DRAM, DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0b.

It's 32GB DRAM because there are only two SODIMM sockets on the board (one SODIMM per channel) and the maximum capacity per SODIMM available today is 16GB. The processor specification indicates 64GB because, in Desktop designs, you can have two DIMMs per channel (2x2x16GB=64GB).

I too question it only supporting DisplayPort 1.2. I am checking this further...

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

It should support DP 1.4 on the mDP and DP 1.2 on the thunderbolt 3, I think.

The mDP ports are connected directly to the graphics chip. The thunderbolt 3 is DP 1.2 only.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am being told that the TPS is correct; the support level is DP 1.2 across the board.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

In this thread there is a comment that the nuc can supply 4k 60Hz 10bit picture via mDP .

I think DP 1.2 cannot do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, that is correct. There are features of DP1.3 and DP1.4 that *are* supported. Unfortunately, you cannot claim compliance unless you can support *all* features.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you. This means then there is a chance to get some strange behaviour when coupled with some displays.

If the electronics companies don't respect the standards, what chance has a consumer to put together a working system ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, I suppose that that is a possibility. I certainly don't think that this is any lack of respect for standards on Intel's part, however -- and I, for one, am glad that they do exceed the spec. Why? Well, the most common thing that people do with DisplayPort is... convert it to HDMI. Since I want to see full support for HDMI 2.0a (which is what my Receiver and TV support), this means that I require HDR support -- which is a DP 1.4 feature. Sure, I would prefer to see full DP 1.4 support across the board, but I will settle for DP 1.2 if I (still) get what I need to support HDMI 2.0a.

Look, we could debate this issue all day, but it would be a waste of time (I certainly am not going to change my opinion). What's important here is that your original question is fully answered and you should have what you need to make an informed decision. If you don't want to go with this NUC model, then don't.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I don't want any debate with you.

I thank you for the information you gave me.

Since then I noticed that simplynuc (if I remember right) and other websites describe the mDP ports as DP 1.3

One thing this nuc does not have is support for YouTube HDR and UHD Blu-Ray, but I've read it can do Netflix.

Anyway, the display manufacturers have put DP 1.2 inputs on their displays.

I have not read yet about any with DP 1.4

This level of detail about the real spec is hard to find.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, considering that there are features of DP 1.3 that I am told cannot be met, that's a bit of a stretch on their part.

I too wish that the HDR feature was better defined and supported (sigh!),

...S

0 Kudos