Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12307 Discussions

nuc8v7pnh 3x 4k monitors at 60hz?

Sprahl
Beginner
So reading about the processors in these, it looks like this should be capable of running 3 4k screens at 60hz.
2 over thunderbolt 3 and 1 on the hdmi on the opposite side of the thunderbolt port on the back of the nuc (since the second hdmi by under the thunderbolt port gets disabled when the thunderbolt port is being used for displays).

I have tried just about everything I can think of and I can't get my 3 monitors running any faster than 30hz at 4k, and it just kills me trying to quickly click on things at 30hz.

I can have any two monitors plugged In and run them at 60 hz 4k. These are business class 30". I have the newest Intel graphics command center and drivers. I have tried multiple thunderbolt 3 dual displayport adapters. The most recent guarantees it works for nuc8s to drive two monitors at 4k 60hz over the thunderbolt 3.

Had anyone gotten this to work successfully? I'm about to just run the monitors at lower res and play with windows scaling on my 30in screens or something. Please let me know if i should keep tinkering and wasting money on adapters (not to mention the ultra high quality dp and hdmi cables I have bought) or if it's just not possible. Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello Sprahl,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. 

Have you tried the configurations present in our article "Troubleshooting Display issues with Multiple Displays on Intel® NUC"? Please check it and try the different options available there. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056457/intel-nuc.html

It is important for you to know that we don’t recommend using any type of adapters, dongles, or any device between the display and the system. This is because this type of device can cause issues with performance or other issues with the displays.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

Sprahl
Beginner
I'm not sure my monitors support daisy chaining like pictured. I don't remember their being any display port Out on them. I will check tomorrow.
JosueO_Intel

We will wait for you to check if it is possible to connect the monitors using a daisy chain, our recommendation is to check with the manufacturer to see if the feature is supported. 

Let me know if you were able to get the information. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Your processor indeed has three DisplayPort (DP) channels, but only two are actually available externally. If you access two monitors from the channel connected to the USB-C port, they will be sharing one channel. Since the channel itself can only support data rates for one 4K@60Hz monitor, connecting two monitors that share the channel will yield 4K@30Hz to each monitor. You simply cannot do any better. 

Now, some folks have gotten around this by connecting to the NUC's internal eDP channel and exposing it as a standard DP port. I have heard of this being done but do not know how to do it myself. A quick google yielded this article: DIY DP to eDP passive adapter. Obviously, I can't guarantee that this will work.

Hope this helps,

...S

JosueO_Intel

Hello Sprahl,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.