Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MLevi
Valued Contributor I

[out-of-the-box] Huge

What I get out of our NUC Community is both the formal (Intel responses) and informal collaborative discussion environment created and monitored by Intel and other great minds.

We can explore the thought process of evaluating, fixing, and improving our experience with our NUCs. That kind of insight makes the community richer by providing subscribers more "sounding boards" to validate hunches about how stuff works when most of us do not have detailed technical designs / schematics / knowledge of the system design. Our community provides an opportunity for Intel to understand if a problem is isolated to an individual, a production run, or a more systemic issue that requires a driver or three update and BIOS mods. All normal stuff if you ask me. There's more ... what we get in return, has incredible value if you are interested in discovering the solution or simply looking for a button to press to make it better.

We actually get the opportunity to reverse engineer through the diagnostic and testing process and gain insight to the design reasons and trade-offs that remain a staple of systems engineering. Sometimes it's a swarm response (those are great - collective knowledge), sometimes a single response, but most often the right response is there. So when I ask a question I get to say which answer worked the best for the situation.

It also seems that Intel genuinely wants to help solve problems and, when it requires a more private discussion, you receive an email to continue dialog. I think that part of of the Intel support model is the best part of my entire experience here. Knowing that someone will reach out if it needs to go to the next level.

Intel: Please keep this service because it works well and you help solve real problems.

[out-of-the-box] Huge

0 Kudos
11 Replies
KBlak4
Beginner

Mike I love the fact you're so committed but Intel actually weren't paying attention to this board for a while I had to point it out to them and they said the issues were the first they had heard despite being on here for 3 weeks at the time.

As much as I love solving things I must admit I've never had so much overpromise from something I've bought with so much underwhelming regret.

Sure I'm generally an early adopter but I'm finding that the reward for it is becoming less over time and much the same as one of the other chaps in here I had to pull my support to implement 4000 units because I couldn't get a straight answer.

Which was disappointing but in a way thankful that I didn't have to wear the mark.

I'm also finding people aren't going direct to intel and registering issues (from experience to date perhaps because nothing much is being done) or they don't understand the system themselves. It took me multiple attempts to correct them on an incorrect answer which I then received as a solution 5 weeks later.

It's not just intel AMD are dragging their heels

So to cut my rant shorter I don't mind a bit of mucking around and can figure out more than I possibly need to but a line needs to be drawn between sensible purchase and beta testing / time spent fixing errors.

I guess a point you missed below is many users need that working machine when they get home not a 3 hour rebuild because something went to shit.

So rather than the oops on the Driver assistant surely they are capable of changing the page to reflect the issue and expected fix. I know I can on my own systems.

I came across the notice for a new update by accident. Trawling for answers for something else that was wrong instead of doing something useful

I Have my own projects to work on which aren't getting done.

BBear
Beginner

The NUC is a very simple machine (form factor-wise) if Intel can fix the audio device disappeared after sleep problem we are reporting.

Before the NUC, I used a Thinkpad without the internal monitor (just using it with two externial monitors via hdmi & dp) and the NUC is the perfect solution for my need.

The funny thing is both the Thinkpad & the NUC have the drivers/bios provided by the manufacturers and not like I am building a custom PC with components from different vendors.

The Thinkpad has 0 issues and the NUC has this strange audio device disappeared after sleep problem.

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Which NUC? There are so many!

BBear
Beginner

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Toons

We each have our own experiences with this Community Forum, and the diversity of opinions is great.

I have a different opinion than yours, Toons.

My complements are not only for Intel ... in the intro part, I included " and other great minds" intentionally. This is because I find more answers from "us folks (including ex Intel employees)" more than Intel Official answers.

That's the power of a Community Forum and that's why I think its great. A community lead forum that Intel does monitor. Whether you or I think they do enough, it's up to them to decide how to improve.

The balance it seems to me, is resources and a complete point-of-reference difference between what Intel and "us folks" think is important.

I disagree with your assertion that I may have missed something (plus it's condescending and what did you mean by "below"?).

"I guess a point you missed below is many users need that working machine when they get home not a 3 hour rebuild because something went to ****."

Compared to other OEMs, Intel could do a hell-of-a-better job supporting the community, but compared to two & three years ago (when I had the NUC5i7RYH), I think the improvement is significant.

When you couldn't get a straight answer from Intel, you apparently voted with your budget and moved to a different platform. The NUC8i7HVK is a niche platform. You were actually considering using your budget to purchase 4,000 NUC8i7HVKs, if indeed that's what you meant? As a former CTO, I would love to see the business case for spending nearly $5M on this platform and how the idea passed the smell test when you first proposed it.

Word of mouth works wonderfully, and I'm grateful you said something to seemingly move Intel on doing a better job. Feedback is a wondering thing.

hubick
New Contributor II

I would love to see the business case for spending nearly $5M on this platform

He just showed them the light up skull.

idata
Community Manager

He just showed them the light up skull.

Yep that would do it oh wow flash RGB lets buy lots and lots

KBlak4
Beginner

No we were going purely off capability and the skull was the first thing that had to be removed if the unit was successful in trial.

KBlak4
Beginner

Mike,

Cost benefit against other potential devices within the same spec it had narrowed to 2 then this came along and knowing what would be going into it it actually worked out cheaper.

We got no answer from Intel to test a unit in our environment with our build so it went back to a 2 horse race and HP won

We were due to replace our entire inventory in one of the buildings prior to moving to the new premises the money was being spent one way or another, so no it wasn't hey these are cool lets buy a heap of them, our tech department looked at them on paper and thought they were a viable option within our new landscape.

So before you criticise the smell test maybe understand the reasoning and why most of us have kept our current devices 6 months longer or longer than we would have normally. The business case had been approved we just had to pick the best horse.

hubick
New Contributor II

our tech department looked at them on paper and thought they were a viable option

So... they liked the skull?

(it was a joke)

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

It's more disbelief rather than criticism.