Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12326 Discussions

questions about Intel NUC6i7kyk

sullysnet
Beginner

Hello, I'm having some issues with m.2 speeds on my NUC being the same for no matter what drive I install. I recently purchased a Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB drive. It should be running much higher for read write speeds. I'm getting the same speeds as the inland model that came pre-installed. Is there something I don't have set correctly on why I am seeing around the same speeds for both models? I'm also having trouble updating the bios to the latest version. No matter which method I try, it seems to do nothing and go into windows. I've tried F7 and inside the bios as well, selecting the file. I see my m.2 is at 4x speed. I'm going to try the bios update from dos and see if I have any luck. I was trying to go to KY0074.bio. The version in the bios I recall is 64 or 67.

thanks for the help

I can add a screen shot of Cystal disk if needed

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @sullysnet 

1. " I'm getting the same speeds as the inland model that came pre-installed...." You didn't dive any information about the performance you got form this new SSD.  You should be aware that this Seagate Firecuda 530 1TB drive has PCIe Gen 4 interface and in order to get the full speed you need also PCIe Gen 4 socket in your NUC. Your NUC however, is equipped with Gen3 PCIe M.2 socket. 

2. I suggest that you should update BIOS in two steps:

Step I:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows. Download the BN0085.bio file. Copy the KY0074.bio file to the root of this USB.
2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 38-39 in Technical Product Specification)
5. Insert the USB with the KY0074.bio file into rear USB slot.
6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
7. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Remove the USB and reinstall the bottom panel.
8. Power your NUC ON.
9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
10. Press F9(followed by Enter), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by Enter), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Step II
1. Insert the USB with the KY0074.bio file into rear USB slot (your NUC should be OFF)
2. Power ON you NUC and when you see the Intel NUC logo, repeatedly click on F7. NUC will boot into storage menu. You should select your USB stick (mass storage device) and then the KY0074.bio file. Click enter the update will start and end during 2-3 minutes.
3. When update ends, the NUC will reboot.

Leon

Edit:

The para. 1. in Step 1 of recovery instruction should read:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows. Download the KY0074.bio file. Copy the KY0074.bio file to the root of this USB.

sullysnet
Beginner

thanks, someone replied to me on Reddit about the speed of M.2. I guess this device is a Gen3 and the drive is a Gen4. I figured that the Gen meant something to the controller but wasn't 100% sure. At least I'd save some money returning the second one I purchased to replace the Inland that was already installed.

For the BIOS, you mention BN0085.bio but I'm not sure how that fits into your instructions? Just curious for the reason of removing the jumper and doing the recovery?

thanks

Paul

sullysnet
Beginner
I think I'm screwed here.....it keeps on doing the recovery over and over and over again. Not sure why. I'm nervous to shut it down because I can't see what point its at. Very depressing.
sullysnet
Beginner
I took a chance to shut it down. Just like when I tried to update the bios in the bios, it refuses to update. So that loop is doing just the same as the other ways. Seems to me something is wrong here. I formatted fat32 complete like you said and file is in the root of the drive
sullysnet
Beginner
Okay I feel like an idiot. For some reason I copied down the wrong model. I swore I copied the name from the listing but I guess not.

1. The bios is up to date already. No need for an uodate.
2. I had the wrong bios file because of the wrong model number. Pretty much I need to restart over on everything I did.

Like I said before about the M.2, this board is Rev 3 and to get the speed of the new drive, I'd need to be Rev 4.

thanks for the help and sorry on the confusion. Makes sense now why it didn't like the file. I thought of that, but I should had double checked.
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Paul,

"For the BIOS, you mention BN0085.bio but I'm not sure how that fits into your instructions? " this was mistake and I've edited my instructions (see above).

I've suggested BIOS recovery method with the Security Jumper Removed since this is the safest method to update BIOS jumping few version up. 

If the recovery to 074 failed, try to recover to version 073 (KY0073.bio) first and then only to 074

Leon

sullysnet
Beginner

thanks Leon, I figured out what I had wrong, I put it in another reply. Everything is fine now. Have a great holiday.

JosueO_Intel

Hello sullysnet,

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and are helping you. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued".

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Josue O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

tstob1
Novice

I don't think the older 6th gen machines support Gen 4 SSDs, you need to stick to Gen 3 SSD.

my 6th gen took a dump after installing the 73 BIOS. 

sullysnet
Beginner
thanks, yup I'm finding that out, makes sense. Guess I didn't read up enough
tstob1
Novice

not sure how much performance difference in Gen3 SSDs, but please think twice about the BIOS update if it's running well. my 6th gen is done after going from 73 to 74