Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XSign
Beginner

[skull/NUC6i7KYK] Fan still working after shutdown

There are some /thread/111718 disscussiong, but still no solution.

I'v installed ESXi 6.5 on my NUC skull code name NUC6i7KYK.

CPU fan will still working after I shutdown the system with ESXi's control panel. But, this problem is not happening everytime, without modification of BIOS as well as ESXi's configuration, NUC can shutdown completely occasionally.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

I understand that you are currently having problems when shutting down the system via ESXi's control panel.

Regarding this To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please let us know if the name of the software involved is "vSphere 6.5". Another question is: Are you able to shutdown the system normally? When you do it normally does the fan continue spinning?

Regards,

David V
XSign
Beginner

Skull is installed VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5

ESXi is a virtualization Operating System. So, I cant offer you dxdiag's information, because it is a linux system....

And here is the answer of your questions at the end of last thread

Q. please let us know if the name of the software involved is "vSphere 6.5".

A. yes, it is, but vSphere is *NOT* a software, it's an OS, like Mircrosoft Windows.

Q. Are you able to shutdown the system normally?

A. yes and no, sometimes(about 1/15 normal shutdown ratio) I can shutdown vSphere(ESXi) normally.But most time, I can not shutdown normally (ESXi show me 'You can shut down the system safely' with monitor always on, and cpu fan still spinning...)

Q. When you do it normally does the fan continue spinning?

A. In most cases, shutdown skull with OS ESXi, the fan is continue spinning. Sometimes, I can completely shutdown skull with ESXi (fan stop spinning).

idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

Thank you for your response,

I could recommend you to do a BIOS recovery/update which could fix the problem. I would like you to download the ".bio" file from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27614/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27614/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-?product=89187

Once the ".bio" file is downloaded, please follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

After the update, please let us know the outcome and see if the issue has improved or was fixed.

Regards,

David V
XSign
Beginner

well, my BIOS version is up to date.

I've tested the lastest BIOS ( Version: 0053 Date: 3/12/2018 ), but the problem still exists.

idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

Up to this point, in order to determine if it is a compatibility problem or a hardware issue, the best we can do is to install Windows 10* as it is supported as O.S by the NUC. Below you can find a list of the operating systems supported:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards.... https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards....

If you are able to, please do and then shutdown the unit normally, let us know if the shutdown process goes through properly and the fan turns off. If that is the case then that would mean that there is some kind of compatibility issue.

Regards,

David V
XSign
Beginner

According to this thread (cpu problem is reproduce multi times on windows 10 as mensioned, and unplug hdmi didnt solve my problem).

/message/455830# 455830 NUC6i7KYK Fan always on upon shut down! Help ~ Problem with the HDMI??

I dont think this is a problem with "un-supported" OS.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, you are probably right; it is likely a problem in the ACPI implementation. So what? Since Linux is not officially supported, the ACPI implementation is only required to support Windows and this problem is not being seen on Windows. You need to understand that the only way that anything is going to happen about this issue is if someone in the Linux community debugs this and can show exactly what is wrong in the implementation. Because Linux is not supported, no debug using Linux is going to happen internally. From your standpoint, this likely sucks, but it is the reality of the situation.

...S

XSign
Beginner

Check this discussion:

/message/455830# 455830 NUC6i7KYK Fan always on upon shut down! Help ~ Problem with the HDMI??

This problem has been seen on windows from different people, multi times.

Neither users nor intel engineers feedback BIOS update will solve this problem.

The most important is: there is a chance to shutdown NUC completelly(with fan stop working). If it is something wrong with ACPI implementation, abnormal shutdown has to be occured everytime, but the fact is not.

So, I think there has to be some abnormal situation caused this problem, and this situation is something need Intel engineers to find out.

idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

I am currently researching about the problem at hand and doing some testing to try and find a solution for you. I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

I have sent you a private message

Regards,

David V
XSign
Beginner

Thanks for your response.

I'v replied you private message.

Oh, just for your information:

when it is an abnormal shutdown, the power light of skull, is off.

If you listen carefully, you can still listen to the spinning of cpu fan.

And, if you connect skull with HDMI cable to a monitor, the monitor will freeze on last graphic of OS's output(I dont know whether it is same with Windows system).

If you need power skull on again after an abnormal shutdown, you need hold power button for some seconds, waiting for cpu fan stop spinning, then release power button, then hit it again. Just one quick click of power button, will do nothing about stopping the fan as well as power on skull.

idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

I have sent you a private message

Regards,

David V
XSign
Beginner

idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

Can you please provide me with your Virtual Machine configurations?

Also, what are the Virtual Machines installed currently? Is any of them configured to wake up from LAN, USB or any external action?

What you can try:

1 - Start only ESXi (Do not start any virtual machine), Try to shutdown and check the fan.

2 - Once ESXi is off, try to access remotely, if there is any answer it seems that the O.S core is still running.

Let us know the outcome and/or the information requested please.

Regards,

David V
XSign
Beginner

configuration:

no extra configuration, except that I configured a datastore to my samba server(Diskstation in below picture):

I'v installed an Archlinux & a Windows 7 on ESXi.

There is no wake up from lan configuration(ESXi do not support this furture).

What I'v tried:

1. Start only ESXi, then shutdown it(start up ESXi and shutdown it immediately, with no virtual machines start up). Result, there has some chance to have a completely shutdown, but most time, cpu fan is still working after shutdown the system.

It is same if I've running virtual machine. abnormal shutdown appears at a very high ratio.

2. Once ESXi is off, try to access remotely, if there is any answer it seems that the O.S core is still running.

I've reproduced an abnormal shutdown(cpu fan still spinning after shutdown). And did some network test:

First ping result:

first and second Request time out, is ICMP package timeout's result

third and fourth Reply from 192.168.1.1 is response from Routers(see traceroute result at bottom)

Second ping result:

all of four responses all came from my router.

Tracert result:

this improves 'Destination host unreachable' response did come from router

So, I guess, core is dead, because TCP Stack in core isn't working any more. Oh, there is no firewall policy on ESXi and router, I can receive reply when ESXi is up.

idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

I am currently reviewing the information you have provided, I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

Thank you for patiently waiting,

I am currently still working on your case to see what is the best fix for the problem you are experiencing. Once again, bare in mind that the current operating system you are using is not supported by the NUC and that could be the reason of the odd behavior.

I would like to know if you were able to install the supported operating system (Windows*10) to test the system and see if the error persists even after having a supported one.

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V
XSign
Beginner

Thanks for you woking.

I'm sorry to tell you, I cant install win10 on my nuc, because I'v installed so many things in my VM.

Anyway, still thanks for looking into this problem

idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

I understand of course, I will continue doing testing on my side and I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello XSign,

Thank you for your patience,

In order for us to proceed I will need you to try a supported operating system. This is because we need to know the outcome and see where the problem could be originated. Maybe you can try using a spare drive instead of re-installing everything.

Regards,

David V