Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

temperature of the CPU

Hi,

Sorry for my english, is a translator.

With the new BIOS update(.47), the temperature of the CPU is very high.This problem was not in older versions, but those old versions had the problem of speeding down the USB3 and blinking the screen. Prior to this update, a 4k video was played without a high CPU temperature. But now with the new update, the temperature of the CPU is high and the sound of the fan rises.Even when running Screen Saver.

Is this matter of fixing the Spectre and Meltdown security vulnerabilities in update .47 Or from the new Windows 10 update (16299.214)? I hope this problem will be resolved with the next update.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello jamesR11 ,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Communities Support.

I appreciate that you let us know about it.

Intel and other companies have begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits. End users and systems administrators should check with their operating system vendors and system manufacturers, and apply any available updates as soon as practical.

Also you can continue monitoring the official website for this vulnerability.

https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr

Regards,

Stephen C.
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I have BIOS 47 installed on my NUC6CAYS and temperatures are stable and not too high.

I suggest that you reinstall this BIOS using the Recovery Method. For more information, see here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html?wapkw=bios+recovery Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions.

Once you have reinstall the BIOS, do the following:

1. During POST, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).
  2. Press F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS configuration.
  3. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save the configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  4. During the subsequent POST, again use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  5. Make any changes (Boot Order, SATA Mode, etc.) that you absolutely require.
  6. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save the configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  7. Boot into Windows
  8. Let system complete all initialization and maintenance operations (might take ~5 minutes).
  9. Start checking temperatures.

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for my english, is a translator.

Thank you for the replies.

I updated my BIOS, with the guidance of Mr. Scott

Fortunately, the CPU temperature has returned to its previous state.

Thanks again for answering and your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

How high are the temperatures going?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott, Before updating via the recovery method, the temperature of the CPU was above 60 ° C when no program was executed,

And when I run a program like Firefox or video playback, the temperature was over 70 degrees.

It is now almost ten degrees lowered.

If the program is not executed, the temperature is about 50 degrees.

I thought it was about BIOS update 47 and about fixing the Spectre and Meltdown security vulnerabilities. Because it was not in the previous versions.

Sorry for my english,

Regards,

jamesR11

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I see no problems with the results are getting. If temperatures are up into the 90's (Celsius), then you can be concerned.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Ok, maybe I'm very sensitive, because I love this little NUC very much

Another question, in the new updates, this BIOS option is disabled: OS ACPI C2 Report

I think for fixing the problem of blinking the display

Disable this option does not create problem? Does not something special?

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, it should not create any issues disabling it. As a matter of fact, disabling it may improve performance slightly.

...S

0 Kudos