Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

update bios NUC7i3BNK to run cinnamon mint

Hi, i bought a Nuc7i3BNK and i want to run cinnamon mint on it. I learned that before installing the OS this NUC needs an update to the bios. Im a complete noob at things concerning bios so could someone guide me through the process in a way its easy to understand?

If later on i want to change the OS to windows 10, is this still possible?

Thank you, hope someone can help 🙂

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Super User Retired Employee

Re: update bios NUC7i3BNK to run cinnamon mint

The latest BIOS for the BN NUCs can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27734/NUCs-BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=128753 Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A].

The instructions for performing the BIOS update can be found here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005636.html Intel NUC BIOS Update Instructions.

While it seems so much simpler to use the Windows-based Express BIOS Update (EBU) executables, I strongly (strongly!) recommend that you *never*, *ever* use this method. First of all, it regularly screws up and reports non-existent errors (like your BIOS is an "Unsupported Legacy BIOS"). Secondly, I have seen it completely brick the BIOS on a number of occasions and I know that, because this issue occurs so sporadically, the developers have never been able to find the cause. Don't do it. Save yourself the grief.

These are my recommendations for making sure the update process run cleanly:

• Use a USB 2.0 flash disk. There are compatibility issues with some USB 3.0 flash sticks.

[Aside: While it's true that most of these compatibility issues occur during BIOS Recovery processes, it is easier to simply avoid using them for *any* BIOS-related activities.]

• If you have never used a USB flash stick for a BIOS update before, take it to PC that is running Windows (NOT Linux and not MACOS!) and reformat the USB flash disk, using the FAT32 file system, with the Quick option disabled.

[Aside: The NUC BIOS is not compatible with the versions of the FAT file system that are created by/in the Linux and MACOS environments. While they insist that they are, their implementation is simply not 100% compatible with the FAT32 file system (this is a fact and not open for debate). Most of the flash duplicators that are used in the prepare the USB flash disks in the factory are Linux-based. As a result, their FAT file system is not going to be 100% compatible. This is why I recommend doing this reformatting step at least once on every USB flash disk that you use. This includes USB 3.0 flash disks. I am sorry for how long the reformatting of USB 2.0 flash disks can take, but there's no alternative]

• When you download the .BIO file (in this case, BN0063.BIO), place it in the root folder on the USB flash disk. Ensure that this is the ONLY .BIO file in the root folder.

[Aside: While this isn't actually a requirement for the F7 update process, it is for the BIOS Recovery process. Doing this one consistent way will avoid issues if you do have to resort to a BIOS Recovery.]

Ok, there you have it. I hope I haven't scared you. Let me know if you have any additional questions...

...S

Highlighted

Oops, I didn't answer your last question. Updating the BIOS will not affect its ability to host Windows 10. The BIOS fix in question is one that is there to address an issue that affects only Linux.

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Firstly, very sorry for the late reply. I had a family emergency keeping me away from the computer. Thank you very much for the information, it was much easier as expected. Just having the right file on a usb drive and pressing F7 was all it took 🙂 Installing cinnamon after that was no problem and i am happily running it now. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You're welcome; enjoy your NUC!

...S

0 Kudos