Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

who made my nuc

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Intel makes NUCs. What is the model number of your NUC?

There are other companies that make devices similar to NUCs.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Intel nuc10fnh product code bxnuc10ifnhaa1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

PROBLEM:

I was working on my unit when I was prompted to download a bios update. I was at a point where I could brake from my work so, I restarted my unit for the update after which, I could no longer access my unit. Almost 3 hours on the phone with Intel support he concluded that perhaps my system was corrupted and I should call the manufacturer of the unit. I have not received any paperwork to indicated who that might be and I am now dead on the water. As you know there are a number of vendors that sell these units with no info on who might be mine. I ordered my unit from Intel and are closed until Monday. By the way the box indicates that it was made in China.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Does the NUC turn on? Any lights on the NUC?

Can you access the bios?

If you have already opened a support case with Intel, then you should continue with them. Tell the support agent that you have an Intel NUC and that Intel is the manufacturer. Made in China means nothing unless you have a counterfeit product.

Do you by any chance remember what BIOS version you had before the update?

Please answer these questions.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

No, I never wrote it down but, the unit comes on and after an F2 the bios version is FNCML357.0041.2020.0518.1045

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

From this link, download FN0039.CAP. Yes, I know it is older.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29458/BIOS-Update-FNCML357-

Format a usb stick that is at least 8GB as FAT32. Do this on another Windows PC. Not linux or MAC.

Put the FN0039.CAP file on the usb stick.

With the NUC off, insert the stick in one of the USB ports.

Power on the NUC by holding in the power for FOUR seconds. It should turn yellow. Release the button.

You should get a bios menu. If so, select F4 for bios recovery.

Wait.....

After the bios recovery, reboot the NUC. As soon as the NUC begins to reboot, start tapping on F2 to get into the bios.

Once in the bios, select F9 to reset defaults (assuming you have not made any custom settings).

Press F10 to save, and reboot.

Then NUC should boot normally.

Report back.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Checking Media Presence Media Present Start PXE over IPv4 on mac 1c-69-7a-0b-05-e4
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Now it shows A bootable device has not been detected
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

So, your boot media is missing and/or you are network booting.

Was the bios recovery successful?

When you boot your NUC, F2 to the bios an see if your SSD is being seen and what your boot order is?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

As far as I can tell recovery was successful although I don't know where to look to see if SSD is seen or where the boot order is. Should I remove the thumb drive?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Yes, remove the thumb drive, and try booting again.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I receive the same message I sent you Checking Media Presence Media Present Start PXE over IPv4 on mac 1c-69-7a-0b-05-e4 or after minutes it changes to Start PXE over IPv6 on mac 1c-69-7a-0b-05-e4 After a few minutes A bootable device has not been detected
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Ok, Boot to the bios with F2.

I do not have the same nuc as you, but these steps should be close.

Once in the bios, what is the bios revision now?

In the bios, select ADVANCED. Then select STORAGE. Is there an entry on m.2 sata? If so, what is it?

In the bios, select BOOT. Is UEFI checked or not? What is boot option 1 set to?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It shows FNCML357.0041.2020.0518.1045 not sure if this is the same as before however, it is not showing a revision Advance SATA Port ST1000VTOO1-1R ( 1000.2 GB ) M.2 port check mark M.2 slot kINGSTON usns8154p3254p3256gj ( 256.0GB-PCIe x2, 8.0GT/s ) Boot UEFI Boot shows enabled
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Well, the bios recovery did not work as you still have 0041, and you should have 0039.

Did you add the kingston drive, or did it come with your NUC?

Did you add the seagate drive, or did it come with your NUC?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It was all inclusive
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Ok, I am assuming the kingston was the boot drive.

In the bios, under BOOT, it has a checkmark on UEFI boot. Does it make any mention of the boot order of the drives. Is the kingston in the first position of the boot order?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

UEFI Boot shows Enabled Yes Kingston is the first position
0 Kudos