Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

64 GB Intel Optane Correct Capacity?

JColl7
Beginner

Hello everyone,

Last weekend I installed a 64 GB Intel Optane accelerator module into my Asus Rampage VI Apex motherboard, I have the most recent drivers installed (16.8.0.1000) on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Version 1809. I also have 64 GB of system RAM.

While the module is detected and working to accelerate the system is it correct that only 60 GB is usable and this reduce to 54.9 GB when formatted? The capacity is shown in the attached screenshot.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information. Thank you for your time.

Update: 18th March 2019: ALHill is correct; the linked to FAQ resolves my question. Thanks very much ALHill :)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Yes, that is correct:

The capacity shown in the Windows* operating system for the Intel® Optane memory series module is less than what is noted on the box. Why is this?

The operating system and related tools report a smaller capacity than you see on the box. The module uses a small portion of memory media management and maintenance. The listed density is the raw density of the 3D XPoint Memory Media. The total user capacity remains constant throughout the life of the drive.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Doc

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AlHill
Super User

Yes, that is correct:

The capacity shown in the Windows* operating system for the Intel® Optane memory series module is less than what is noted on the box. Why is this?

The operating system and related tools report a smaller capacity than you see on the box. The module uses a small portion of memory media management and maintenance. The listed density is the raw density of the 3D XPoint Memory Media. The total user capacity remains constant throughout the life of the drive.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Doc