Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Accelerating secondary drive with Optane

ДЗеми
Beginner

Hello!

I have a PC based on ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard with Intel Core i5-8400 CPU and Two storages: 120G WD M.2 SSD disc and WD Green 2TB HDD disc. I'm very interested in Intel Optane memory modules and before I buy it I want to know: can I accelerate my secondary (HDD) drive with Optane module, if it's just a file storage not a system disc?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Kilenhad,

Thanks for your interest in our products.

It is possible to accelerate a secondary/data drive using Intel® Optane™ memory. From the information provided, we can see your system already meets some of the requirements for secondary drive acceleration. However, please check the following article to find the full requirements and confirm if your system supports it:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory

I hope this information will be useful for you. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
OTheu
Beginner

it works! i also have a z370-a with 1x 256 GB SSD and 1x 1TB SATA (Seagate). To optimize the secondary drive i only needed to convert it to gpt-format

Method 1. Convert MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR with Command Prompt by no data loss

1. Press Win + R to open Run dialog > Type: cmd and hit Enter to bring up Command Prompt;

2. Type: diskpart.exe and hit Enter to open DiskPart window;

3. Type: list disk and hit Enter;

4. Type: select disk g (Replace g with the drive letter or your disk that you want to change it to MBR or GPT;)

5. Type: convert mbr or convert gpt and hit Enter;

Let the program to do the disk conversion task and then there you'll get wanted partition table in your disk.

6. Type: exit to finish the task.

You can use the converted disk for saving data and install new programs or software so to meet your needs now.

idata
Employee

Hello ollot,

Thanks for sharing the steps to convert a secondary/data drive from partition style from MBR to GPT without losing data. This will be useful for other users interest in enabling Intel Optane Memory acceleration on their systems.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos