Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Backup and Restore for HDD + Optane Memory PC

JBurn12
Novice

My pc is an Acer Aspire TC-885-ACCFLi5O Desktop, 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8400, 8GB DDR4 + 16GB Optane Memory, 1TB HDD, running Windows 10 (X64) Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.476. I am attempting to learn how to backup and restore my System without disabling Optane Memory each time. I have tried Acronis, Aomei, EaseUs, and others but none of them seem to work. Some way I did get Macrium Reflect to work properly, however, I would like to understand why the others don't. If it is really necessary to disable Optane Memory each time, that eliminates scheduling completely, I would think. Has someone found a way to work around this. Appreciate any tips and information about this. Thanks, John

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Hard to say why the others did not. I use Macrium, and have been successful. However, I abandoned the practice of backing up the HDD+Optane pair, and chose to disable optane before the backup "just to be safe".

Perhaps you could post to those backup providers and ask the question.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Hard to say why the others did not. I use Macrium, and have been successful. However, I abandoned the practice of backing up the HDD+Optane pair, and chose to disable optane before the backup "just to be safe".

Perhaps you could post to those backup providers and ask the question.

Doc

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

You are correct - and I have posted to those backup providers, with no success in getting any replies! Guess I am the one who screwed up by buying this type Intel setup. 😟

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, Optane is certainly a challenge. However, the performance boost cannot be denied.

Doc

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

I anyone finds a backup program that really works with hdd + Optane memory, please post and let me know. I feel like I'm walking on thin ice.....brrrrrrr!

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

I hope this helps some poor souls like me dealing with Hdd + Optane Memory pc's, Macrium Reflect 7.2 is working for me, making backup, restore and rescue media, all which perform perfectly, without disabling Optane. They seem to be the only backup program dealing with this problem so far.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JBurn12​ 

1. Thank you for your update.
  2. Did you tried to restore your system after erasing contents of Optane Memory Module, without disabling Optane acceleration? This may simulate replace Optane memory module, with a new one after failure.

Leon

0 Kudos
JBurn12
Novice

I believe I have found the difference between Macrium Reflect and the other backup programs. Here is a page from MR's knowledgeBase:

"When you run the Macrium Reflect task, Create bootable Rescue Media the wizard checks whether your device requires drivers adding to WinPE. It builds a list of devices in your computer that are either hard drive/RAID controllers, network interface cards, USB controllers or USB hubs. For each of these devices it checks if:

The device is supported by default in WinPE

There is a compatible driver in the host operating system

There is a compatible driver already present in the collection of drivers on previously created rescue media".

The others allow for adding the drives, but make the user find them. This is not so easy for some of us, so they may not always work properly. I just happen to be one who is not "techie" enough, I guess. At least Macrium Reflect continues to work for me. thankfully.

0 Kudos